Lesson I learned from the jackal

Submitted by Lance H on 2/14/05 at 10:03 PM. ( ) 64.72.62.183

This weekend, I undertook a new species - the black-backed jackal. What a treat. The only forms I could find for them are at Van Dyke's and they have only one shoulder form. That one is one of those that needs a lot of prep work to make it look nice.

I learned not to go by the company advice 'cause they sent me coyote jaws that are way too big. I used a jawset for a large red fox and it worked great. Coyote eyes are optimal for this species.

Reference photos are almost non-existant, at least close up enough to do any good, so you'll have to just wing it. I did and it turned out fine.Everything is like a coyote or fox, except the eyes are drawn back a little more to give them less of a round shape.

The diameter of the head at the angles of the lower jaw is like working with a doe. You need to make a 2-inch relief cut from between the ears going back along the center line of the neck then when pulling on the cape, when it gets too tight to go any further, slip a scalpel blade in and, while applying pull to the cape, continue the cut just until it goes over the round. Hate to sew, but the head is almost as big as a coyote's on a neck like a red fox.

Finally, thank God for the web and digital cameras. I took pics from every angle and e-mailed them to my friend that hunts them in South Africa for depredation control and had him critique me to see how accurate they were. Invaluable in the absence of reference photos. Not as good, but he said I "nailed it", so he knows more what they look like than I do.

Anyway, I just wanted to share some insights on a species I find little about on here.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

I love this kind a stuff

This response submitted by DEERMEISTER on 2/14/05 at 10:34 PM. ( ) 155.84.101.2

Thank you so much for sharing. I know what you mean about being a treat, its really nice to mount the unusual stuff. Thanks again!

Lance...

This response submitted by Jim Stagliano on 2/15/05 at 6:33 PM. ( stagtax@aol.com ) 64.12.116.132

Can we see a picture? I would love to see a nicely mounted Jackal.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu