my bobcat shrunk

Submitted by gary on 2/15/05 at 6:20 AM. ( aataxidermy@sbcglobal.net ) 69.208.68.43

i have a bobcat i skinned and am mounting for lifesize, the carcass was 18 x 31. i salted, pickled, shaved, and tanned with liqua tan. i washed and tumbled this morning and it is only about 16" across. i have it chillin in the fridge, how can i get it back or relax it to the correct size again?
thanks

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Did you neutralize

This response submitted by James Parrish on 2/15/05 at 7:12 AM. ( ) 204.211.171.11

Pickling draws the hide up. Neutralizing lets it relax back to its original size. I would probably rewash and soak in baking soda/water mixture for 15-20 min. Then, rinse, tumble, and dry.

I bet

This response submitted by Jack F on 2/16/05 at 5:06 AM. ( ) 24.97.78.149

Its got to be about 33in long now. I would guess the skin just needs to be stretched from side to side. That will get your girth back. If you hung it by the face and wrang the water out of it you stretched it long. I hope that make sence. Jack F

a little tip

This response submitted by Travis on 2/16/05 at 8:37 PM. ( ) 130.76.96.14

Lay the cat out flat with the fur down...take a flat tool that`s about 1 inch across...start in the belly area and push the flat tool(i use my ear cartlidge tool) out to the edge of the skin...you`ll see the skin stretch back out to where it belongs. Work all the skin along the cut and ya should get your measurements back....another tip is to stick the cartlidge tool down into the legs and give them a good stretching before ya put it on the manikin...

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu