Bobcat Sewing ?

Submitted by WBHarness on 2/16/05 at 9:02 PM. ( ) 66.139.173.23

Caught a nice bobcat and decided to make it into a rug so i skinned the cat for a rug mount and then tanned and fleshed him. A friend of my wifes wants me to mount the bobcat on a lifesize form for her husband. My question is how hard of a sewing job will this be. I looked in my Breakthrough manual and saw where it was a way of skinning for lifesize mounts. I have mounted several bobcats but have always used the dorsal incision. just curious as to what I'am up against. Thanks

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

It Takes

This response submitted by John M on 2/16/05 at 9:19 PM. ( ) 66.190.42.199

a bit longer but works out o.k.. If I have a skin (mostly bear) that are skinned for a rug and end up doing a lifesize I sew everything back up and then make my dorsal cut, it takes longer but works well for me. I have done this to bobcats,etc..

sewing bobcats

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 2/16/05 at 10:37 PM. ( mhoney"AT"mindspring"DOT"com ) 207.69.6.207

WB, It's just my opinion but I would not dorsal cut a bobcat again unless I was going to mount him laying on his back. I have done it and do the foxes with a dorsal cut, but sewing a cat up the back requires careful sewing not to be noticable so I sew them all up the belly or up the side if it's laying on it's side. I would much rather cut the form than deal with stitches in the short fine hair of a bobcat. For the cat you have I would mount as is but probably sew most of the leg cuts before going onto the form. Enjoy, Aaron H.

Short fine hair?

This response submitted by Mark H on 2/16/05 at 11:57 PM. ( haskees@access4less.net ) 64.63.204.8

I do all my bobcats dorsal. Where are your cats coming from that have short fine hair? That sounds more like cougar hair. Take your time on any stitching and it will be fine.

WB

This response submitted by Jack F on 2/17/05 at 3:31 AM. ( ) 24.97.78.149

I would sew it back together inside out you know skin side out. Then draw nice strait line down its back number some cross lines not cuts with a marker and cut it down the middle and invert back hair out and mount. Sewing it that way you gather less hair in the stitchs. I haven't seen any cats yet that didn't have nice full coats on there backs but I am in upstate NY. Jack F

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu