Skinning a FOX - help

Submitted by Kaye on 2/20/05 at 6:54 PM. ( ) 203.12.22.34

I have been given a beautiful red fox and have placed it in the freezer. I would like to tan the pelt but as I haven't done this before I was wondering if someone could tell me how to skin it? I have skinned rabbits before but have just cut across the back and peeled off the skin - not wanting to tan them. I have read on this forum that fox skins are thin and care is needed. Do I cut down the legs and tail? How do I clean out the head if I want to keep that with for tanning? Thanks in anticipation. Kaye

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

What are you wanting to do w/ it?

This response submitted by Greg on 2/20/05 at 7:08 PM. ( bgwaite@lexcominc.net ) 207.144.147.214

That really decides how to skin it. If you want a rug type, then you want to start @ the belly. If I mount one I start @ the back. I would suggest that you use the search button if you haven't already. A fox is very thin skinned, I would only flesh it with a pair of taxi shears. Everyone has their way of doing one. McKenzie's sells a kit for making a rug. With the kit is a very informative video. For $25 I found it to be a very good kit. Hope it helps!

Rug or Wall Hanging

This response submitted by Kaye on 2/20/05 at 8:18 PM. ( ) 203.12.22.34

Thanks Greg for your quick response. Yes a rug or wall haning is the go. I will start at the belly and slit it up from the abdomen to the neck - I suppose. Don't know what taxi shears are, I was going to use a scapel (cos this is the sharpest thing I have) to cut the skin away from the carcass and legs. But I am not sure how far to go down the legs and tail. On this forum I have read that you have to slit the tail all the way down but I was just going to leave it as is. I wanted to get the thing out of the freezer and start tonight so that I could put the body out in the trash and salt the skin. I will keep reading this forum for the next steps after salting and I sure hope that I don't ruin it. Thanks again Kaye

you must split the tail

This response submitted by Yep on 2/22/05 at 4:42 PM. ( .edu ) 152.163.100.134

Take an umbrella, yes, any umbrella, preferrably from the trash, with a good pair of side cutters cut off one of the metal splines that raises said umbrella. You now have a professional tail splitter. What you will have is a long piece of metal with groove running the entire length, once you pull the tail, insert metal umbrella rod and run your scalpul all the way down the groove, dull side to the grove, sharp side to the skin, you'll have a perfectly opened tail, works on all Mammals

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu