opossum tail

Submitted by Garry on 2/26/05 at 4:38 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.200

Does anybody know where I can find a fake opossum tail for a mount?
Thanks

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Garry

This response submitted by George on 2/26/05 at 11:41 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.133

Make your own. They're really pretty simple to do. Take one 10 gage wire to be the length of the tail. Take 3 12 gage wires and cut them about an inch shorter. Then with a very fine wire, wrap all 4 wires in a bundle with the heavier wire in the center. When complete, mix up some Apoxie Sculpt or Sculpt All or similar 2 part epoxy putty. Cover the wires completely ,keeping your hands very wet. Once the basic shape of the tail is acquired, hang it up for about an hour. By then is should be tacky and starting to harden. Take the tail down and roll it in a terrycloth towel. Rehang and let it cure. Then when you get ready to use it, heat it gently with a hair dryer and shape it. If you have some serious curl work, however, it would be better to do this during the construction process than after it's dried.

Thank George

This response submitted by Garry on 2/27/05 at 11:35 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.133

I was looking for a tail that I could eliminate the original tail completly cause I tore off about an inch off the end, But I guess I could just make it a little shorter.
Garry

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu