Problem with Squirrel Tail

Submitted by James on 2/28/05 at 1:09 AM. ( samb23@hotmail.com ) 209.107.235.201

I just got done skinning a squirrel; however, when I went to pull the tail out, it broke, and only about half of it came out. Right now I have my squirrel skin with about half of its tail left in and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I could get it out. I am using the skin for a full body mount and any ideas would be greatly appreiciated.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

needle nosed pliers

This response submitted by jimsoverns on 2/28/05 at 3:21 AM. ( ironwolf_1@msn.com ) 65.54.154.12

if the skin is still fresh and hasnt started to dry out ,try this feel for the end of the tailbone where it is broken off,,,cut a small slit in the tail right above that and down a little farther down the bone,,, until you can get a grip on it with needle nosed pliers,,take another pair of needle nosed priers and push the skin down the tail....hope this helps

Great suggestion Jim...

This response submitted by Craig on 2/28/05 at 10:43 AM. ( ) 66.66.226.122

I normally cut the tails off and mount them then attach them with epoxy after the mount is dry. Easy enough to get another tail.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu