Got Mountain Goat skinning questions .... skinning foot

Submitted by Brian on 10/1/05 at 4:31 PM. ( scout_hotdog@yahoo.com ) 206.53.17.39

Got a question about skinning out a hoofed foot on a goat. I think I understand that when you get down to the dew claws (not sure of the true name) I know they stay with the skin so I cut them from the leg bone but when you get to the hooves it almost seems that you would need to keep then attached to the hide to be sent to the tanner. The problem I see is it seems by the time you get to the hooves and cut the bone away form them then the hide would also be cut free from them. Do you leave them separate and later bond it all together or leave them attached (which seem very delicate and could separate during tanning) and have it tanned that way? Also, I would think maybe at the tannery the hooves would cause a problem in tanning and tumbling. Any ideas would help - I've never skinned out a foot of a hoofed animal before.

Also, does a mountain goat have sent glands anywhere that I need to address as I finish the salting and fleshing.

Thank you for your time and answers,
Brian

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

My thoughts...

This response submitted by Lee on 10/1/05 at 7:50 PM. ( ) 69.162.36.56

I have only gotten the opportunity to mount one of those magnificent goats but what i did and worked really well was...I cut between the dew claws like you mentioned then continued to skin out the hoof. Then work your knife around the inshide "shell"(for lack of better term) of the hoof. After you have cut around and loosened as much as possible come back to the outside and cut around the soft pad part of the hoof. Basically remove all the inside of that hoof. You will be surprised at how much junk and grease is in there even after it is tanned etc. This leaves you with and extreamly clean foot to mount later on. All that leaves you with is rebuilding that pad part in the finishing stages. Hope this makes sence to ya and that it helps you out. Good Luck!

Don't know how many times I gotta say it

This response submitted by George on 10/1/05 at 10:24 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.67

The very BEST tool for removing the hooves on ALL animals is with a pair of curved blade fish shears (also called "grape shears" or "vinyard shears - Sold exclusively by Research Mannikins). You split the lower leg of a hoofed animal down to between the hooves. Take the shears and work under the last joint and sever the tendons, bend it over, remove all the bone. There should be no other cuts made than the single incision down the back of the leg to between the hooves. Send them to the tanner still attached to your hide.

hooves

This response submitted by norm on 10/4/05 at 10:39 AM. ( ) 162.39.212.133

im not sure about anybody else, but i always leave the hooves attatched and have never had a problem with the tanners. it just takes a bit to get all the bone out of the hooves, you really just have to be cutting or sepereating right between the bone and the hoof all the way to the point of the hooves. its really a pain but once you get the process youll get better and faster at it. now as far as scent glands im not sure on that part. good luck.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu