charging for bear rug, or full mount

Submitted by Hess Taxidermy on 12/1/05 at 9:08 AM. ( hesstaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 209.74.8.207

I was just wondering how you guys know what to charge the customer for their ber, either rug or full mount. I charge by the foot for both which I assume most guys do. The first couple guys that brought me bears in, I know them pretty well, so I just told them I would give them a final price when I get the bear back from the tannery, so That I know how long it is. I was just hoping there was some way to measure the bear skin while the customer is there, so I know how much to make their bill and how much deposit to give me. Oh I forgot to mention all the bears were allready skinned so I couldnt have just measured them on the body. Thanks for any help, Kevin

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Hess

This response submitted by Jim B on 12/1/05 at 11:14 AM. ( ) 207.200.116.74

Most people charge for rugs by the finished length,so it's impossible to give an exact cost up front.Also,many bears come in frozen,so the customer may not be there when you measure the green skin.I think about the best you can do is give them an estimate for deposit purposes and settle up when it's finished.I charge one basic fee for most lifesize but do adjust it up or down for one a lot bigger or smaller than normal.After awhile,you'll learn to judge size just by looking at the head size.It would go app. like this:5" nose to eye,55" long,5 1/4"-60",5 1/2"-65",5 3/4"-72" etc..These measurents are for lifesize bodies and won't work for rugs.They should put you in the ballpark to where you could estimate your lifesize price.Sounds like you're on the right track.

Tip of nose to tip of tail

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 12/2/05 at 6:30 AM. ( basswtrout@msn.com ) 70.16.124.229

I very seldom get bear in frozen. I either get them in whole where I cape them out or already skinned out. From there I lay them on the floor and lay the skin as though the bear was laying on it's side with their feet together and not pulled lenght wise but in a very relaxed state. Then take your measurement and charge them by that. They also assit me in measuring it so they really see what it is.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu