Coyote toe pads

Submitted by Gerry on 12/6/05 at 8:20 AM. ( ) 65.140.202.88

Doing my first coyote mount. Skined it yesterday and felt as though someone had kicked the crap out of me when it was over. Everything went well as far as I can tell except I don't know what to do about the toe pads. Am I suppose to try to skin the fat out from inside, cut them off and rebuid with apoxie, or inject them with some type of preservative? I skined the foot pad fat out but couldn't seem to reach the toe pads.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

I know what you mean Gerry

This response submitted by AndyO on 12/6/05 at 10:10 AM. ( ajossola@yahoo.com ) 68.252.194.252

It sounds so easy when your first starting. I felt the same as you skinning out my first bobcat. A project I estimated to take 30-45 min took well over 3 hours by the time I got everything turned and split. That was 12 years ago and I can honestly say it gets easier.

The toe pads should be scraped clean. I try to get it all out when skinning. You could use a small pair of curved scissors. I you can absolutely not get to the toe pads I would inject each pad with stop rot and call it good. Next time you need to try to skin further down the toes.

I cut the feet off at the joint

This response submitted by Ryan on 12/6/05 at 6:15 PM. ( ) 67.51.238.202

as I skin and leave the feet right on the skin. Then once I get it skinned out toss the carcass and take the hide to my bench, put a cinder block on it to hold it in place and skin each foot out from there. It helps to get rid of some of the stink and is a little easier to mauver and see what you are doing. Another little trick I use is to split the foot one toe at a time and grab that toe with a pair of pliers and pull, helping with my knife when needed.Then as you get to where the claw meets the toe, work your knife in there and cut the connection. Makes things much quicker and less stressful for me.

hey this isnt that hard

This response submitted by terryr on 12/7/05 at 12:05 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

here's how to make it easy - make relief cuts in all legs and invert skin (DO NOT CUT MAIN PAD - YOU DONT NEED TO)on legs as far down as you can - this will be to the top (front) of the foot - cut foot off at ankle and run a knife between toes so that every toe is separate - do this on all feet - put each individual toe in vise and pull while cutting with MEDIUM sharp knife - they invert very quicly - less than one minute per toe - trim out pads with side cutters

Thanks.

This response submitted by Gerry on 12/7/05 at 8:02 AM. ( ) 63.235.205.226

Thanks to all for your help.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu