Sorry but a basic question

Submitted by Laurie on 12/7/05 at 10:27 AM. ( ) 62.253.248.93

Not sure what to search for, which probably explains why it was friutless.

I am preparing a fox pelt to mount on a foam form and I have shaved the skin and split all the eyes and ears. My question is very basic I know but:

How much skin do you need from the split lip (non fur side) to be able to tuck back into the form? That is to say, I have split the lip in half and in some cases, there was an inch of skin flap that would need to be re-tucked into the form. My thoughts are that the skin flap should be trimmed to half an inch however, your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated

Kindest regards

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

1/4 inch for closed mouth.

This response submitted by AndyO on 12/7/05 at 11:13 AM. ( ajossola@yahoo.com ) 68.252.194.252

1/4" should be plenty if face is thinned well. Leave too much flesh and everthing will pull and distort.

As much as you can

This response submitted by George on 12/7/05 at 10:00 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.138

Laurie, Andy is correct, but I dread foxes as they can be really tough around the lower lip line up to the canine teeth. Most times, I try to use fabric pins to hold that lip up under the cusp of the form until it dries. Make sure you don't rout out that lip line and quarter inch should serve you well.

Thank you

This response submitted by Laurie on 12/8/05 at 7:53 AM. ( ) 62.253.248.93

Thank you for your help, yes it was a closed mouth mount.

Kindest regards

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu