help identify fox

Submitted by dave h on 12/7/05 at 1:08 PM. ( daveh@whirlawaycorporation.com ) 68.249.226.167

I think it's a Silver fox, but the tip of it's tail is white and the pictures i hav eseen do not have white tip on tail. The whole fox is solid back with long silver gray hair ob back and white tipped tail. What is it?

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

silver fox

This response submitted by Rich P. on 12/7/05 at 1:19 PM. ( ) 69.23.219.114

It's a silver fox, I just purchased one from a fur dealer and it had a white tipped tail.

White tipped tail

This response submitted by Evelyn on 12/7/05 at 2:43 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.133

It's most likely a male. Since silver foxes are a color variation of the red fox, and the males in red foxes have white tipped tails, I would say the same holds true for the silver fox.

sex doesnt matter

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 12/7/05 at 3:10 PM. ( ) 67.138.10.73

Males and females may or may not have a white tip. The tail tip color is not exclusive to males. Some red fox tails are white for six inches up the tail, others are black tipped, many have no white at all. All the color phases have a fur color or phase name, like red, cross, silver, but theyre still a red fox.

Dang Yoxy

This response submitted by Evelyn on 12/7/05 at 4:30 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.133

I guess I have been told. LOL.

Actually...

This response submitted by - on 12/7/05 at 5:14 PM. ( ) 216.144.58.82

It is said that (in the wild) Vulpes vulpes has the white-tipped tail, Vulpes fulva does not, and hybrids between the 2 have a variable amount of white tipping in the tail. Vulpes vulpes has almost eliminated Vulpes fulva in the USA so you see most red foxes with a nice white-tipped tail. If you have one with no white in the tail tip, it's most likely Vulpes fulva. Both are red foxes.

The tip color doesn't mean anything in reference to the color mutation of the fox. A silver fox is silver because of the color of it's body fur -- not the color of it's head, tail, legs, etc.

hmmmm

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 12/7/05 at 6:43 PM. ( ) 67.138.10.73

Two things...Evelyn, I didnt wanna seem like I was showing you up, I try to make my claims carefully and tactfully, lol.

Second, Im certainly not aware of there being a vulpes fulva AND a vulpes vulpes. In my circles, its one in the same, with both latin names. Some credit the red fox as an old world animal from europe, and others say that the american fox is different. I guess I dont agree with this, as I can show you every variation of tail color around here, all on one property even. Wooly tails, straight haired tails, all the tail hairs having black tips, no tipping, black dorsal lines down the center, white tail tips, long white tail tips, black tail tips, and no tail tip at all. Some will have white bellies, others grey or smokey, if you will, still others are reddish, blonde and white, and some are charcoal to almost black. To beat all, I once mounted one that had white underparts with one inner leg reddish and the other white and black.

its a silver fox

This response submitted by billfur on 12/7/05 at 9:31 PM. ( ) 198.110.222.143

silver fox are a color variety of red fox, american red fox Vulpes vulpes fulva, a subspecies of red fox not a seperate species, and from what i have seen not claiming this as the truth, the north american subspecies is the one with the color phases most often, silver which has black underfur and white gaurd hairs, black in which both are black, variations of the regular red phase, and cross fox wich is a regular red with darker coloration of the face, back and tail, i have caught cross fox and they are pretty man, and all color phases may or may not have the white tail tip

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu