question on fox rug

Submitted by kamperr on 12/7/05 at 9:37 PM. ( jtkamps@lssu.edu ) 198.110.222.143

i caught a fox that i want to make into a rug, i havent skinned it yet, i guess my question is do i just skin out the body and make sure i get the ears and nose and eyelids good and then send it to the tanners, and will i be able to just get the form and eyes and glue and put it on or what do i have to do itll be my first try at taxidermy so any help appreciated, im gunna do it closed mouth to eliminate the problems with the artificial jaws, so again any tips would be appreciated, thanks

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Depends on you

This response submitted by Ryan on 12/8/05 at 5:16 PM. ( ) 67.51.238.202

Do you know how to turn the ears, split the lips, remove cartiledge from the nose, skin out the feet, etc. If you do then proceed, if you do not: put it in the freezer and get yourself a video from one of the suppliers on rug work. Look for one where they are doing a K-9 such as a fox or coyote as opposed to a bear. Watch the video, then get on the forum and search for specific answers to specific questions using the orange button to the left. If you can't find an answer to your questions put up another post and you will get an answer. By the way open mouth is not that much more difficult in my opinion. Once you have done this you will be ready to go ahead with your skinning, tanning, etc. Good LUCK

here's a good one on ebay

This response submitted by terryr on 12/9/05 at 12:43 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

i have this video -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Taxidermy-Video-Coyote-Rug-Mounting_W0QQitemZ7202035136QQcategoryZ71130QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu