What to do with squirrels

Submitted by Rob on 12/9/05 at 8:30 PM. ( ) 70.177.73.207

I have an acre with 7 or 8 pecan trees. I finally had it with all the squirrels, so I bought a high power pellet gun to "evict" them. I have shot about 45 fox squirrels in the past 6 weeks. I never really thought of doing anything with them, as I have just been throwing the dead squirrels away. I finally got a lecture from some of the guys I play poker with that I should be at least eating them and even doing something with the hides. So I agreed to look into it. I apparently have an endless harvest opportunity because they just keep coming. So my question is how do I get started, as I am a complete beginner? Is there a way to just sell the hides somewhere? These are big red fox squirrels.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

You might want to check

This response submitted by J Randall on 12/9/05 at 8:58 PM. ( ) 63.235.180.82

on the regulations in your state and find out if there is a limit on the amount you can harvest and or have in you possesion at any given time, and to see if you need any kind of permit or license to sell them. If not you should be able to sell any quality specimens as long as they are priced right and suitable for taxidermy. Another hint if your selling them list the measurements that apply to mounting (nose to base of tail and circumference around the midsection as well as any unique features such as odd colorations ect and finally if they are skinned,turned, salted or frozen whole. hope this helps you out.

Definitely check

This response submitted by Todd on 12/9/05 at 9:18 PM. ( ) 64.136.27.227

your regs. Out here it is illegal to toss any animal that is considered game. All meat must salvaged and not wasted. As for the hides check the previous post. If that seems like too much work contact mepps fishing lures in Antigo,WI. They accept the tails and will pay or trade out fishing lures.

Rob

This response submitted by Richard C on 12/9/05 at 10:17 PM. ( ) 4.156.144.74

We always ate squirrels. We made up a caccatorie with them and also with rabbits , very good.

if they are pests....

This response submitted by Griz on 12/10/05 at 12:26 PM. ( ) 69.66.87.9

you may be under different restrictions as well

where?

This response submitted by sam on 12/12/05 at 2:50 PM. ( sam9266@aol.com ) 12.226.53.208

rOB...

Where are you located.. what state?

Sell them....

This response submitted by Joe on 12/12/05 at 11:24 PM. ( ) 68.28.83.113

If you don't eat em, definitely sell them frozen whole. I just bought 10 in the last couple of days.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu