a stiff badger

Submitted by Branden on 12/16/05 at 12:01 PM. ( ) 216.207.98.203

Hey, Ive had this badger for awhile, and he was salted STIFF, I heard that locked the hair in best. Anyway, i had it soaking for about 10 hours, and his ears and around the neck was still sorta stiff. Anyway, I dried the hair off and did just a bit more fleshing, although it didnt need much (but hes still kinda greasy). This morning I put it in the pickle with some degreaser, my question is, will the 3 days in the pickle loosen up them ears, and give him back some stretch in the neck area? Thanks for the reply!

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

nope

This response submitted by gary on 12/16/05 at 7:37 PM. ( ) 69.208.78.32

the pickle will not loosen it much at all, maybe a little if you leave it in for several weeks. did you say you put degreaser in the pickle? get yourself some kemal-4, it is a good degreaser and relaxer. mix a couple tablespoons per gallon of water and soak your hide in that for a few hours and and then run the skin side over a wire wheel (like you use for fleshing ducks), this will help break it up more. Then go back to your pickle bath again and do your final fleshing. Final step would be to neutralize with water/backing soda before tanning.

I checked it....

This response submitted by Branden on 12/18/05 at 12:22 PM. ( ) 216.207.98.213

yesterday afternoon and they had already softened up, after about 24 hours!

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu