Smell and green flesh on coyote belly

Submitted by Matt on 12/25/05 at 12:21 AM. ( ) 207.89.155.82

I caught my first coyote thursday and i just skinned it out today, which is saturday. I had the pelt sitting in my shop the first night, which was about 65 degrees. The next evening i pulled it out and placed it on my cold barn floor, under 40 degrees for over 19 hours. I went to skin him today and right around the belly-gut area, the flesh is green and it smells. The hair does not seem to be pulling out and is tight. I froze it tonight. Will the freezing prevent further bacteria growth, what should i do. Should i get some stop rot and apply as soon as it thaws. Should i wait a few months to try this, preferebly, or take it out as soon as i get some stop rot in? I will do whatever i have to to save this coyote. Thanks

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

sounds

This response submitted by michael p. on 12/25/05 at 12:29 AM. ( michaelschlabach@hotmail.com ) 12.179.226.95

like your're a procastinater and should find another profession

michael that didnt help

This response submitted by Matt on 12/25/05 at 12:38 AM. ( ) 207.89.155.82

I think I'll stick to it. Let me know what i should do to the coyote. Thanks

WHAT I WOULD DO

This response submitted by BUCKHEADTAXIDERMY on 12/25/05 at 12:52 AM. ( BUCKHEADTAXIDERMY.COM ) 208.61.100.92

YOU MIGHT BE BETTER OFF USEING THIS GUY FOR BAIT, THE HIDE IS RANCID.
YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO SAVE THIS HIDE BUT I BET THAT IT HAS GONE BAD.
AFTER AN AMINAL DIES YOU MUST GET HIM COLD FAST AS POSSIBLE. I WOULD TRY TO FIND A USE FOR THIS ANIMAL. IF THE FACE AND HEAD ARE STILL GOOD? THEY MIGHT MAKE A MOUNT? I WOULD USE THIS GUY TO PRACTICE YOUR SKILL AND LOOK FOR THE NEXT ONE... I WOULD CLEAN HIS SKULL AND SAVE IT. SKIN HIS TAIL AND SAVE IT, OR USE THE WHOLE THING FOR BAIT TO CATCH SOME OTHER CRITTER.....LOTS OF LUCK

Coyotes rot fast

This response submitted by Cliffords Taxidermy on 12/25/05 at 4:23 AM. ( CliffordsTaxidermy.Com ) 207.69.137.22

Heck I have had them do that in under 12 hours at times. Yotes will go bad in a hurry as any K-9 will. I would for the heck of it go and ahead and tan it and see what comes out. That stuff called stop rot cant hurt niether. I am afriad though you may have waited too long to skin. Always skin out coyotes asap no matter what the air temp is.

Go Go Go

This response submitted by Mark on 12/25/05 at 11:19 AM. ( Shmockaloc@cox.net ) 70.191.114.10

You dont lose your way just yet. I had a Bobcat sent to me. When I took her down the belly area had the tell tale signs of stall. It had the green tint in the area like your yote. I would wager that the kid who hung that cat bragged and drove through town w/her. Not a problem but Im sure we were close. Dont ever concede. Thats one thing I learned from this site. If you read ALL the warnings you will never find the right specimen. (short of popping it yourself) It is all written here to aid when it DOES come to light. For now just roll with it. Good Luck! I truly hope your having a Christmas like mine

Mark

Green belly

This response submitted by Glenn on 12/25/05 at 12:26 PM. ( unkfuz@aol.com ) 205.188.116.138

Matt, if this 'yote is to be mounted, get it scraped then salted quickly. Green belly is common on canines, fox are worse then 'yotes. Other wise freeze it while you order some Stop Rot. I keep a bottle in the shop and in the trapping shed just for fox. Muskrat will green belly pretty quick as well. The stop rot will get prevent slippage if it hasn't happened yet and will pretty much get rid of most of the smell. If for the fur trade, flesh and scrape, apply the Stop Rot then stretch and dry as usual. Next time, hand it where it's colder and get it skinned out by the next day.
Glenn

Green Belly

This response submitted by Forrest Sue on 12/25/05 at 4:44 PM. ( forrestzoo@earthlink.net ) 71.0.180.67

I had a coyote brought to me the same morning it was shot. Maybe 4 hours later. It was really fresh and I really wanted to freeze it for a couple days then skin (I hate surprises) but after realizing I woul dhave to empty out freezer space for it and saw it had not fleas or ticks I decided to go ahead. Now it was 34 that morning. And I knew that deterioration starts asap an animal is dead and anything above 39 degrees is bad. But it had the green belly & rank smell already. I "grinned" & beared it as I knew I had done fox and bobcat with the same OK.

Don't panic

This response submitted by paul k on 12/25/05 at 4:54 PM. ( ) 68.83.60.41

Although canines should be skun and salted as quick as possible as Glenn mentioned green belly is very common in cannines. The stench of a coyote will be there, green belly or not. The dietery make up of carnivores and the thin belly skin on cannines has something to do with the green skin on the belly area. I've sent my share to the tannery without negative results other than discoloration on the belly skin. But next time be sure to skin much sooner

green bellies on coyotes and wolfs

This response submitted by Laurier on 12/26/05 at 10:55 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.209.33

This is very normal the belly going turning green , this happens very fast,I've skinned hundreds and tanned even more , as long as the hair is not slipping , the smell will go and the hide will be fine.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu