Help on coyote rug

Submitted by 1st-time rugger on 12/28/05 at 5:33 PM. ( nsrob3180peoplepc.com ) 4.158.60.30

Will be doing coyote rug with headshell/open mouth and am wondering whether you should trim some of the belly or do you leave it full-size? How dry should the tanned hide be before applying backing and felt? I will rehydrate the head for mounting but do I leave the rest of the skin dry? Any help very much appreciated.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

relief cuts

This response submitted by JOE on 12/29/05 at 12:07 AM. ( mt_fuji@hotmail.com ) 69.171.246.15

I did a coyote at school a few months ago. We stretched and stapled the body to a piece of plywood(after the head was mounted)skin side up. You will need to cut a U shape centered on the board and using a piece of scrap wood screw the head centered into the form and into the plywood. you will notice that the legs will not lay at a 90 degree angle. you must make V shaped relief cuts and sew them together. (Front legs only). it is ok to cut some of the belly so that it is balanced. I sprayed the hide down when stapling it to the plywood so it would stretch more easily. Rugs are a $#*Y% and I'd send it out once the head was done. I don't think I'll ever do one again! They are LABOR intensive! let the rest dry naturally...believe me it will because you will be sewing for days!

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu