Full size mounted male lion on auktion

Submitted by Sten Appelon Petersen on 1/9/06 at 3:55 AM. ( sten.kolding@lauritz.com ) 80.167.47.94

I am manager of an internet auktion house in Denmark, and we are asked to sell a full size male lion - it is beautiful and in perfect shape. Can anybody help me estimate the value or put words on the market for such a trophy.
Best regards

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Mr. Peterson

This response submitted by Jim B on 1/9/06 at 11:31 AM. ( ) 207.200.116.72

That's a tough one,there are so many variables to consider.A mount today,from a large shop might cost $5000.00.The skin itself might be worth $3000.00,tops.This gives a total of $8000.00,max..Now these things depreciate with time and seldom sell for near what they cost to have mounted so you need to factor that in.The fullness and size of the mane will also affect price.Anything less than a "zoo cat"-like mane would also deduct from this price.Quality and life-like appearence of the mount will affect price.My guess is,if you got 1/2 the $8000.00 figure you've done well,but it could be worth anywhere from $100 to $8000,depending on all these factors and who wants it and how bad.It would be worth your while having an experienced taxidermist look at it or at least high quality pictures of it.He could tell you a lot more about the quality of the animal and the taxidermy work.Good luck with it.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu