Ram Horn Question

Submitted by Bazie Dulen on 1/10/06 at 12:33 PM. ( bdulen@mrtc.com ) 208.135.164.92

I have a question about ram skulls and horns. I have 2 lifesize rams to do and 1 half body mount. The 2 lifesize are a Texas Dall and a Corsican and the half body mount is a Barbarosa. I know for a fact that I probably won't be able to start on them until about August. I have heard all this drama about getting the horns loose from the core and soaking them in water, boiling them, taking a hacksaw blade and cutting around the bottom of the core. I figured I would soak them in water because I have so long to wait anyways. Will the water damage the horns if it is submerged for several months? even 4 or 5 months? Will anything on them start to rot being submerged that long? Just curious because I was fixing to put them all in water and start to let them soak. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Baz

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Horns

This response submitted by Mark H on 1/10/06 at 1:47 PM. ( haskees@netzero.net ) 63.17.35.32

After you have cut the skull plate of off the heads set them aside and let them rot off. Take a knife and cut the tissue loose at the base of the horns and let them sit. After a few days check and see if they are getting loose by twisting them. Once they start getting real loose I take a block of 2x4 and pound on them a little. Eventually they will pop right off. The 2x4 will not damage the horns. Clean the inside of the horns and dust with borax. Cut off a portion of the core and put the skull cap with cores still attatched and cook off the remaining tissue on the skull and cores. This way you don't have to worry about the horns getting discolored from trying to cook them off the cores. Works for me.

BOIL THE HORNS

This response submitted by ME on 1/12/06 at 12:01 AM. ( ) 67.128.52.83

TILL YOU CAN POP THEM OFF THE N CLAEN THEM OFF AND ITS ALL DONE IN ONE DAY PLUSE NONE OF THE ROT SMELL

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu