anyone remember doing shoulder mounts with exelsior & wood

Submitted by : 7) on 1/11/06 at 7:40 PM. ( ) 69.202.104.20

just curious about it. I'd like to do a shoulder mount this way. Instructions would be nice. I really don't care about how long it might take or the cost. It would just be nice to do one.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

e-bay for this one

This response submitted by cyclone on 1/11/06 at 9:19 PM. ( ) 67.50.144.245

Look up the booklets "Lessons in Taxidermy" from The Northwestern School of Taxidermy. Buy the whole set, you specifically want booklet6 lessons 18-21...

Good luck, show us all when you get it done...

Right!

This response submitted by George on 1/11/06 at 9:43 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.132

It would be nice to be 16 again , but that ain't happening either. Nothing "nice" about it and it's hard to believe someone would want to take that kind of time to end up with a piece of crap when it was finished. Been there, done that once. Once is dead and gone.

Same thing with paper forms

This response submitted by joeym on 1/11/06 at 9:54 PM. ( joeym@ra.msstate.edu ) 68.222.75.223

The first two deer I helped in mounting were on paper forms. The poor old guy I was helping did a lot of head scratching! I don't go back far enough to have mounted them out of baling wire and straw. Some things are best left behind!

lol

This response submitted by samantha on 1/11/06 at 10:00 PM. ( ) 58.104.60.157

Thats how i learnt - just 10 yrs ago here in OZ!
Wooden neck, boiled & cleaned skull, coconut fiber & paper mache.

George

This response submitted by TR on 1/12/06 at 1:42 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.132

Why do some prefer a muzzleloader a when a high powered rifle will do the job. Why do some hand craft a recurve bow when they can use a compound that is lightning fast. Why do some still tie flies when Cabelas has an 800 number and is a phone call away. I could go on but you get the point. I been there done that but there are still some that favor the journey and not the destination. Not everyone wants a recliner with a built in keyboard and plasma screen. Just remember there is an A$$ for every seat. TR

I think I know what hes saying...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/12/06 at 11:23 AM. ( ) 67.138.9.72

He just wants to try the old way, thats all. You guys should actually appreciate his wanting to go back to "the roots" on this. Its easy, build the wooden armature, connect to the skull, and start wrapping and filling to shape. Wedge the nose or do it the clay way, set some eyes, and fashion the earliners. I dont know if youll stay traditional and sew up the lips, use slot head screws or nails, and use a pickle cape, I wouldnt! Good luck with your retromount.

Thanks Bill...

This response submitted by :7) on 1/12/06 at 5:00 PM. ( ) 69.202.104.20

Just what I needed! Thanks. Very helpful indeed!

TR, your points are valid but your ass is hanging out

This response submitted by George on 1/12/06 at 5:11 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.71

You are exactly right. I DO enjoy those things, but here you have a person who wants ME to do it so HE can enjoy it. BIG DIFFERENCE. I saw a video with John Janelli where he had a FANCY hinged armateur to give the neck a nice curve. I used a straight 2x4 myself. Maybe I should try to get one of those for an NTA seminar, but I doubt it would be very well attended. I'd hope this industry has a keener eye on the future than it does a longing eye for the past. I'll think about the seminar.

Good Luck

This response submitted by Steve on 1/12/06 at 10:49 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.71

Id be curious to see how your mount turns out.

Seinfeld fans

This response submitted by mike on 1/12/06 at 11:06 PM. ( taxidermy@mwt.net ) 207.190.72.226

I don't know why but this thread reminds me of the episode where Kramer is going build levels in his apartment and Jerry bets him that he will never do it. Id like to see the retro deer when its finished. good luck

Doing a animal the old way as it was done with care?

This response submitted by rfjouron@yahoo.com on 1/16/06 at 2:14 AM. ( ) 72.235.131.58

My name is Roger and I did it the hard way to start in taxidermy trade?I mounted my first animal ,a squirrel that I got from a taxidermist shop in chicago,Ill 1940 and got a boy scout book that showed pictures of how to mount a squirrel the old way, well I could not read so I just studyed pictures of the squirrel and the dead squirrel and just stated to put it together sew it up after I skined it out, useing pants hanger wire,coton, a black marbal I broke in two I used for eyes, I think I used some borxas soap all over it and as you would say mounyed it or stofed it, For my first job it look ok to me , but as time went by the bugs got it and my grand ma put in the garbage can.As the years went by I did more of differate kinds of animals and birds and fish, some the old way,and many with paper forms, plaster and so on ? AS the years went by I only did one or two things here and there as just a hobby but I studied and leared alot about wild life in school and did a lot of hunting as I got older and Leared more about wild life in the wilds there ways etc? In order for you to be a good taxidermist you must eat and sleep your art for it is 3000 years old , so learn to do it the hard way first then as time go"s by you"ll learn about the new things that you can use for you mounts the inprovements of the supplies that are used now are really great and it makes it easyer for taxidermist of to day trade> I retired from taxidermy 10 years ago now I"m back to doing some small animals that I had not mounted when I was in bussness for 40 years in California, I "m in big Island of Hawaii now and the only animals here are mongoose, hogs, goats, sheep and some birds? I am getting some small animals to mount from the mainland to mount for own enjoyment? So some day a customer will ask you to mount a two headed L.S lamb you will be able to mount it like I did back 1970 when there were no forms around to mount it so you do it old way first then cast it and make the new way and you got a Mount for your customer? Have Fun in learning the way of the Taxidermist?<rfjouron@yahoo.com

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu