rabbit mounting question

Submitted by Ed on 1/14/06 at 9:37 AM. ( ) 216.135.2.28

I am about to mount a cottontail rabbit and the archives have made it quite clear how deliquite a specimen it is and how easy hair loss can be. My question is can pretreatment of stoprot tuffen up the hide for general handling and mounting and help with hair loss?

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Not so much hair loss

This response submitted by AndyO on 1/14/06 at 11:26 AM. ( ajossola@yahoo.com ) 68.250.194.188

The skin tends to tear if you dont handle it with care. I apply stop rot to the face and ears on all small game as added insurance against slippage.

Ed

This response submitted by Jim B on 1/14/06 at 1:42 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.73

Nothing you can do will really toughen the hide.They just are extremely delicate and this means all species of rabbits and hares.You just have to move extremely slow every step of the way to avoid tearing.You just have to have a lot of patience and nerves of steel when working on rabbits.You can't force any aspect of the job.Even putting the skin on the form has to be done slowly to prevent tearing.It takes me 2 working days to do one,start to finish and done quite a few.I can't see any way to make it go faster.I hate rabbits.You'll see what I mean when you get into it.Just hang in there and don't lose your cool!

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu