Brushing fur after tanning

Submitted by Lynda C on 1/14/06 at 1:21 PM. ( tony.lynda@gmail.com ) 130.208.227.151

Hi! First, I did check the archives before posting... I am a beginner, currently residing in Iceland, and have had a wonderful opportunity to get some Arctic and grey fox hides to tan (and maybe some more tonight, if my friend was lucky). I've done three so far, with good results. I bought a good wire brush for long haired dogs, but Im wondering, should I expect some hair to come out when I'm brushing? I'm getting about as much as I would expect from brushing a live animal. I brush thoroughly, but not vigorously. How do you guys do it, and do you lose some hair in this process? By the way, I do not have access to books and videos on tanning, and if I order them, the price will about double after customs, duties and taxes! I have already gotten alot of very helpful info from this forum, but I probably won't be able to respond for several days, as this computer is 20 minutes (1 way) from home. Thanks in advance!

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Oops!

This response submitted by Lynda C. on 1/14/06 at 1:26 PM. ( ) 130.208.227.151

Darn beginners...Sorry; I posted in the wrong category! Should have been tanning, but of course, you guys know about this, too.

Lynda

This response submitted by AndyO on 1/14/06 at 1:31 PM. ( ajossola@yahoo.com ) 68.250.194.188

Perfectly normal to have hair come out when brushing-- as long as it's not in big clumps. Where are you located? I have a friend who lives near Naval Air Station Keflavik.

AndyO

This response submitted by Lynda C on 1/14/06 at 1:39 PM. ( ) 130.208.227.151

Andy,

Thanks. Do you brush only with the lay of the fur, or also back brush, for volume?

I live up north, in a village across the fjord from Akureyri, second largest city in Iceland; easy to find on a map. Is your friend Icelandic, or "imported", like me (I'm a Canadian)?

Either way

This response submitted by AndyO on 1/14/06 at 1:43 PM. ( ) 68.250.194.188

Just like brushing your hair. You can back brush a bit if you wish-- the main thing is to get the tangles out.

He's in the U.S. Air Force stationed over there.

Okay

This response submitted by Lynda C on 1/14/06 at 1:52 PM. ( ) 130.208.227.151

Thanks again.

Thought that might be the case. Hope he's enjoying it. We like it here a lot. The fox hides are a real bonus for me.

Linda, forego that curry comb

This response submitted by George on 1/14/06 at 3:34 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.13

Though some hair will be pulled out as it's likely matted underneath the guard hairs, you need a long toothed furriers comb on those guys.

Some fur is normal!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 1/14/06 at 3:44 PM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.23

Particularly thick furs generally hold some "dead" fur within them. It's not unusual to see it when you brush or comb them out. It's normal - unless of course you get an unusually large amount. Then it may indicate that the epidermis is weak and allowing it to pull away easily. Always wait until the fur is completely dry before doing your grooming! This will allow the epidermis to firm and hold the fur tightly!

Thanks

This response submitted by Lynda C on 1/20/06 at 11:28 AM. ( ) 217.28.178.11

I'll see if I can find a furrier here for the comb, but so far I only know of the skinnery, which does mostly sheep and cow skins (but the guy there has been a great help in getting me going). And I am letting the fur dry before combing, although at this point, being a beginner, I'm always a little anxious to see how it turned out, so it could have been a little dampish here and there. Now that "I been told", I'll really make sure it's dry. By the way, my friend was lucky last week-end, and my fourth fox, another blue, (not grey; I'm such a beginner) is just about dry :) I used some of my own hair conditioner on this one, after the washing, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out. Thanks again!

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu