Squirrel Capes

Submitted by Ethan Lambert on 1/14/06 at 11:14 PM. ( Ethanlambertrulz@aol.com ) 68.60.21.20

I have never been sqirrel hunting before, but i got a .22 for Christmas and i think i'm going Sunday and Monday. I have heard that you can make money off of the tails of Squirrel but i was wondering if you would make more money off of the cape? Either way I would like to know a few steps to preserving the cape or tail. Oh, and i have never taxidermied ANYTHING. thanx for any help.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Sqirrel capes

This response submitted by Ethan Lambert on 1/14/06 at 11:24 PM. ( EthanLambertrulz@aol.com ) 68.60.21.20

I have never been sqirrel hunting before, but i got a .22 for Christmas and i think i'm going Sunday and Monday. I have heard that you can make money off of the tails of Squirrel but i was wondering if you would make more money off of the cape? Either way I would like to know a few steps to preserving the cape or tail. Oh, and i have never taxidermied ANYTHING. thanx for any help.

okay

This response submitted by matt on 1/15/06 at 12:17 AM. ( ) 65.111.194.219

if you just want to make money on it take it to a fur show in the spring of the year. Skin the squirrel and leave tail intact. remove flesh and fat with scissors and peel off with hands any access meat and fat. Now salt for a day or two to inhibit bacteria growth. you might then want to wash with liquid dish detergent and liquid lysol and place in freezer.you may pour borax on flesh when removing from freezer and use to mount or just simply pull out of freezer and take to the fur buyer at a local spring show. Hope you make lots of money since you have done the carcass up.

1.00 tops

This response submitted by brian on 1/15/06 at 12:56 PM. ( ) 68.194.134.204

tackle shops will give maybe a 1.00 a tail. a dead squirrel with good markings are between 4.00 and 20.00 and 20.00 is for black,blonde or albino. if its common squirrels your shooting i wouldnt even waste my time selling them. mount them yourself and then sell em,then youll make some money,thanks

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu