altering a fisher form

Submitted by Bill on 1/16/06 at 8:49 PM. ( talltalestax@hotmail.com ) 70.224.243.124

I have a question on altering a form I can't figure out. This will be easiest to answer if you have a 2006 Van Dykes catalog. If you turn to page 89 There is a mink at the top of the page BM-01349382 This is what I need to make the fisher look like. My problem is I can't find a form for a fisher that matches the mink form. Page 83 is the fisher forms and there are two that are close but not what the customer wants.Bm-01118026 and BM-01350218 So I need to strighten one out and fix the arms or stand the other up from the sitting postion. My soultion was to buy both forms and tie them togther. I'am hoping there might be something I'am missing that might make this a cheaper fix. If Not would you requote your price to cover the cost of the extra form.
I know this is a question that will take a little extra time to answer but I couldn't think of a easier way to describe what I was trying to do. Thank-you in advance for any help you might be able to give. If you know of a company that has a form I'am all ears went through my resources and this is as close as I can get.
Bill

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Bill

This response submitted by Jim B on 1/16/06 at 10:31 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.131

They never did send me a new catalog,so I can't find a picture of BM-01118026.The other form you list,in my catalog is a flexiform.These are nice forms but are made of flexible foam that is almost impossible to alter.Some of those are available in rigid foam.I don't know if this form is.If I had to alter one( and I personally would before ordering 2 forms)I'd probably straighten the body and front legs rather than the other option of altering the squatting rear legs.Altering an animal the size of a fisher shouldn't take much time at all.

cut and foan

This response submitted by Dean on 1/16/06 at 10:50 PM. ( ) 63.26.124.122

It's easiest to order a manikin with no rods or wires. Cut, notch, and refoam the manikin to how you want it. Think how the joints inside the body move. Cut at the joints,at the ankles and elbows position and refoam. Think how the shoulder and hips rotates. Cut and move to position needed, bondo and foam again. Think how the back and body can move turn or arch one vertabre at a time all the way down the body. Cut wedges out on one side and put into the other to create the body turn. Foam again. Resculpt with a knife,rasp, and sandpaper take down the excess foam down to the size and shape wanted. Watch anatomy and shape closley. Add wires by cutting long grooves along the legs and body. Bend wires to fit in groove and extend out of feet and tail. Bondo or epoxy in place. Breakthrough and Taxidermy Today Magazines have had alteration articles in them in the past issues.(very helpful and worth tracking down) It's not as hard as it seems. It comes easy after a few times. Grab a cat or dog and bend and move their limbs and body around. You'd be amazed what you can learn by feeling how they move inside. Turn your own body into the positions and feel how your joints are moving. (Do this when you're alone otherwise you look kind of stupid)It does help. Same thing, you'll learn a lot about anatomy by thinking about whats inside and how all animals move. Good luck. It's not as bad as it sounds

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu