Stinky Coon

Submitted by Susan on 1/18/06 at 2:16 PM. ( ) 72.160.45.155

I just recieved a coon, that has been sprayed by a skunk. I stuck in in the freezer, until I could ask for some advice. Can I was the coon with dawn after thawing, I would be applying Stop-Rot to the skin side as I skin the coon. I am tanning the coon with Krowtann. Will these steps be ok? Any Help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Wash

This response submitted by Susan on 1/18/06 at 2:19 PM. ( ) 72.160.45.155

Sorry about my spelling fopa

Susan, DON'T use the Dawn!

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 1/18/06 at 5:06 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.105.114.186

The active ingredient in Dawn these days is the same as that of Lysol. Sorry about everyone's luck, but times they are a changin', and the rascals that make the changes do not consult with us first.

STOP-ROT and the agent in Dawn will neutralize each other out.

Just cover the hair side of your frozen coon with STOP-ROT, use your sense of smell. STOP-ROT will neutralize the skunk odor. I'm sure you'll be able to tell if you missed any spots.

After that, proceed as normal.

Thank You, Glen

This response submitted by Susan on 1/18/06 at 6:39 PM. ( ) 72.160.53.11

Thank you Glen for your responce, I'll just shove a wad of Vick's into eack nostril, roll up my sleeves, and get started.

skunk coon

This response submitted by Forrest Sue on 1/18/06 at 9:21 PM. ( ) 69.68.83.233

Susan,
oops,, your "fopa" is faux paus.

"Miss Spelled"

This response submitted by Scott on 1/19/06 at 8:41 AM. ( ) 216.222.235.15

Sue,

It's nice to see that there are still some people who recognize that spelling is important to the reader. I can't even think about punctuation and sentence construction on this site. It would be nice if there was a spell check feature to use on our texts, but I haven't noticed one. Is there one that I am not aware of?

Scott

What does stop rot smell like

This response submitted by Mark on 1/19/06 at 1:18 PM. ( Shmockaloc@cox.net ) 70.191.114.10

I still want to know! hahahah Sheesh man why is that a secret?
I have some use for that knowledge

mark

Mark, make a deal with you.

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 1/19/06 at 10:01 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.105.114.186

You describe what skunk musk smells like, or what a rose smells like, or what the color red looks like, or the color green and then I'll try my best to describe the smell of STOP-ROT, if my meager writing skills would allow such a feat. Even then the best I could do would be to say, well....uh...uh....it smells like STOP-ROT!

If you decline the offer, you are allowed to counter offer with a re-phrased question.

Best I can do w/ that

This response submitted by Mark on 1/19/06 at 11:25 PM. ( Shmockaloc@cox.net ) 70.191.114.10

A skunk is to a Rose as Stop Rot is to a ______?

hehe Its ok Glen. I was half joking half the time. I have stuff that smells like ceder, sasafrass etc. I can tell the difference in smell between tans. What I asked (or meant to) is if it would (or did it) have any masking quality? I referred to George's "mayonaise capes" I thought it was clever and described some less than favorable skinning conditions.I read above that it neutralized the skunk odor. I have to assume that meens no covering or replacement scent. <shrugging shoulders> When I googled it and scanned a bunch I got hot dog pee. lmao I will just try it eventually. Thanks for all the info that you did help me with. Your a nice guy haha and tricky! My safest bet was to take the counter offer. Thank goodness you gave me a way out. shoo

Mark

HEY! Don't go laughin' at my hot dog pee now!

This response submitted by Glen on 1/20/06 at 12:12 AM. ( ) 70.105.114.186

That was some serious business.

STOP-ROT has a very slight odor. As far as what kind of affect it has on other odors depends on what group of organics is involved.

In some cases the odors are neutralized by being converted to other compounds, in other cases they are apparently just simply bonded to the point that they can not give off gases at the same speed at which they were prior to contact. We could even go a step further and ask what is causing the odor to begin with, and has that source been nipped in the bud?

Now I don't know about George's Mayonnaise capes, never had one of those. His sounds like something a feller might want to eat. Now the ones that smell like the walking dead that we sometimes get around here, it does a pretty good job of gettin' rid of the stink, real quick.

Excellent

This response submitted by Mark on 1/20/06 at 9:23 AM. ( Shmockaloc@cox.net ) 70.191.114.10

Excellent, Excellent

I do realize that the testing I ribbed about is serious work. You are a very smart man Glen. Thank you

And Im sure they were George's customers capes! lol Just colorful writing as always.
Mark

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu