bear frozen 13 years

Submitted by Randall on 1/20/06 at 10:18 PM. ( dykesrj@comcast.net ) 68.62.255.49

Hello all,First I would like to thank all who contribute to this site.I have found it invaluable to my continuing education it the taxidermy arts.Today I recieved a whole unskinned black bear that has been frozen unwrapped for 13 years.the bear is obviously freezer burnt (dried)and after 10 hours out of freezer I am seeing little thawing the bear was given to me for practice as I am still learning (3 years)Could i cut it in half and soak in stop rot solution to thaw and rehydrate ,or should I babysit it and skin as I can? This is a beutiful 300 pounder and I really want to try to save it .Does any one have any suggestions for me other than throw it out. the hair is tight and other than the bear smell has no oder.Thanks in advance to any or all who can help

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Alcovy River Artworks

This response submitted by Alcovy River Artworks on 1/20/06 at 10:30 PM. ( rogerchrisann@bellsouth.net ) 68.155.165.107

A 300pound black bear is hard to come by. Just have to ask way it was in the freezer for 13 years. Forzen whole?

Try to save it if you can, The hide and skull need to be saved. The claws are also of value.
How do you plan to mount this?

What do you want to do with it after you get it skinned?

Stop rot is worth a try. You have to find a safe way to rehydrate the skin. I would use stop-rot or something like it. You need to keep the hide moist and cool at all times. Heat will destroy it.
You need to tan the hide of a bear. They have lots of fat and you need to flesh the hide good and salt it down.

I would ask the experts how to care for this one, 13 years is a long time. Yes it can be done. It might be better for a rug if the skin is bad. ?

frozen bear

This response submitted by Randall on 1/20/06 at 10:45 PM. ( ) 68.62.255.49

The bear in question was a confiscated specimen and had to be kept as evidence.Why that long I do not know.I quess since it was evidence they wasn't worried about ruining it.If I can save it I saw a nice lying down form from McKenzie I would like to use,or a nice half lifesize walking pose Thanks

Randall,

This response submitted by Glen conley on 1/20/06 at 10:48 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.105.114.186

I gather you are thawing at this time? How much STOP-ROT do you have on hand? Would it be possible to put it back in a freezer?

Glen

This response submitted by Randall on 1/20/06 at 11:10 PM. ( ) 68.62.255.49

To make a long story short,My local wildlife agency calls at 10:00am and says they are cleaning out freezers and would I like some practice animals, catch was they would be here at 12:oo pm .I was sure not to say no,so as to the freezer question no.I topped it off with the better wrapped smaller animals and hides.I do not have much stop rot (less than a quart) I checked it a little while ago and have better thawing in the rear legs and mid body, my main concern is front legs and head.also as a matter of clarification the weight I posted was a typo The bear had a live weight of 200 lbs but was gutted by someone. Thanks

Randall,

This response submitted by Glen on 1/20/06 at 11:26 PM. ( ) 70.105.114.186

you should be able to get away with cutting the STOP-ROT with DISTILLED WATER at the rate of one part STOP-ROT to two parts distilled water. You would be best off to use the STOP-ROT full strength from the ears forward to the nose. I hate to tell you to cut it by that much, but some times a feller has to do with what he's got.

Since the bear has already been gutted that is going to give you a good place to start. Keep filling the crease between the skin and meat with the solution and let it work. This is a thing of using your own powers of observation to make the judgement calls. Work the skin as it allows.

If you have a hypodermic needle and syringe, you can inject just under the skin and let that work. You'll need to shoot a lot of little "blisters".

I just wish you had more STOP-ROT on hand, you could be "painting" it down from the hair side with the cut solution, and that would probably help you. This one is not going to go fast.

Once you get the skin worked off, and you still have dry spots, you'll need to get everything softened up uniformly. If you've got enough fluid on it by that time, just rolling it up and sweating might be enough. The other option I would rather go for would be to freeze it again until you could get some more STOP-ROT. Can you "borrow" freezer space from someone?

You may have already seen this article. If not, it might be good for some ideas:
http://www.hidetanning.net/FreezerBurnedCape.html

Randall I've done the same thing

This response submitted by Laurier on 1/21/06 at 8:38 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.232

give me a call and I will walk you through the prosedure.
(705)476-0483

thanks

This response submitted by Randall on 1/21/06 at 11:31 PM. ( ) 68.62.255.49

Thanks alot to Roger and Glen.I managed to get the bear skinned up to front shoulders using care and all my stop rot . Since the bear is considerably smaller now I was able to get it in a borrowed freezer till I can get more chemicals .

Glen this product is amazing and I would reccomend to all!Thanks!

Roger thanks for the words of encouragement!

Laurier, I'll be calling you later when I get back on it.

I am going back to wear out the orange button now, THANK YOU all for all the help!

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu