Furrier's comb question

Submitted by Lynda C on 1/25/06 at 5:19 AM. ( tony.lynda@gmail.com ) 130.208.226.8

It was recommended to me to use a furrier's comb in my last post when I comb out my fox furs after tanning. I searched on the internet to see what it looks like, and it seems to be simply a steel comb with wide-spaced teeth on one end, and narrow-spaced teeth on the other. They are also not so easily come by here in Iceland, so I'm thinking of trying a mane and tail comb for horses, as well as a men's comb. Before I go out and buy, though, I thought I'd run it by you guys for feed-back/suggestions. Thanks!

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

The brush I use is...

This response submitted by Tony J. on 1/25/06 at 5:43 AM. ( ) 208.135.164.206

simp;y a dog grooming brush. It has a bunch of steel bristles about 1 1/2 inches long, and has a handle. I would check a pet store. It works great for burrs in the fur. If the horse comb work good for getting crap out of horse tails without pulling hair, thats what I would get!

Tony J.

Technique

This response submitted by Lynda C on 1/25/06 at 5:54 AM. ( tony.lynda@gmail.com ) 130.208.226.8

Yeah, I've got one of those, too, but the furrier comb was recommended, so I thought I'd try it. I used to work with horses, and I have long hair myself (don't use the horse comb personally, though), and after reading your response, I thought I might mention this, though you may already know. When combing out any long hair, start at the ends, and as the tangles/burrs/crap comes out, you work down toward the roots. Work small sections at a time. Never start combing from the roots. This technique is less damaging to the hairs (less breakage).

I use

This response submitted by Doug Bridges on 1/25/06 at 8:36 AM. ( doug@ddtaxidermy.com ) 12.40.253.154

a blow dryer and a pet brush. The combination of back brushing and blowing the hair towards the head realy makes it look great. Give that critter a hair doo and get all the hair fluffed and standing tall. I also have some pet grooming detangler and conditioner that I spray in to the hair and work in. Then as I groom, the hair and tangles comb a lot easier. I do use the steel comb on stubborn mats and knots. Becareful not to pull too much. You can pull bunches of hair out or move the skin.

Lynda, that sounds like some advice I may have offered

This response submitted by George on 1/25/06 at 1:43 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.197

The furriers comb just provides two-in-one. You are correct in your assumption that a regular comb WILL work, but make sure all the spines have the same size and gap. The Afro Combs often found in hair salons work well as a substitute. These long toothed combs allow you to lift the hair without pulling it. Especially where mud and blood near the root areas may be gluing hairs together. The curry comb with it's fine bristles will often tear these clumps free while the furrier's comb breaks them apart. At my mounting stand I have a furriers comb, a regular comb,a curry comb, a man's hair brush, and a baby's hair brush. They've proven invaluable over the years with different hair and fur being worked.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu