coyote form

Submitted by mike m. on 1/25/06 at 8:29 PM. ( eightpthntr71@yahoo.com ) 64.12.116.5

killed a coyote yesterday that was 34 inches nose to tail. i have a form that is 31 inches.my question is if i make the longer do i need to make the legs any longer or will it make much difference? i already threw carcass away or i would have measured them.thanks for info, mike.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Legs?

This response submitted by Forrest Sue on 1/25/06 at 9:02 PM. ( ) 66.207.230.7

It should be alright. I don't think because the body is 3 inches longer the legs would be also. That is a measurement that doesn't come into play when ordering a form anyway.

Mike

This response submitted by Jim B on 1/26/06 at 12:15 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.196

If you are going to make your form 10% longer then technically the legs should be 10% longer too.That's why you see mounts that look like hot dogs.Part of that length should be in the neck also.It's all about proportions.If I were doing it,I'd add 1/2" to the neck and 2 1/2" to the body,then figure out the legs.We emphasize reference all the time and you had it in your hand-the body of the coyote you want to mount AND the form you want to mount it on! Why wouldn't you lay them side by side and find out exactly what needs done?There's no better answer to your questions than what you threw away.In the future,even if you don't have the form to compare,trace the carcass on a piece of cardboard,freezer paper or whatever you have on hand.When you get your form,this will tell you exactly what to do as far as lengths.Don't mean to bust your chops,but sometimes we look to the internet for answers when they are in front of our face.Personally,I'd order a 34" form,but if you want to use up the one you've got laying around,I'd expand it proportionally.If I lengthen a form that size 1 or 1 1/2" I don't change the leg lengths-it won't show.More than that and it will look out of proportion if you don't change the legs.All this assumes that the form is proportioned right to begin with-they aren't always.Again your carcass could have told you this.Next best thing will be to try your skin on the form.Good luck.

the form you have...

This response submitted by terryr on 1/26/06 at 1:08 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

will probably work just as it is - it is easy to spread 3" of skin over a 30 " form - try the skin on for B4 YOU DO ANYTHING

Mike

This response submitted by Jim B on 1/26/06 at 11:30 AM. ( ) 152.163.101.6

After telling you to look at your carcass "reference",I failed to do just that.I remembered that I had 3 coyote carcasses on the pile getting ready to go to the dump.one is 31",one is 32" and the other is 34".The 34" has legs 1" longer than the 2 smaller ones.When someone tells you that 3" over 30" total length,remember,you are lengthening only 1 section of this animal.The actual distance between the front leg and back leg is app. 11" and you are adding 3" to that.That's increasing 1 part of the animal 30% in length and changing nothing else.There's no question you can screw the skin on a form altered this way.You just have to decide whether your goal is to learn and to try to make the animal look as it would in life or if you are just interested in covering foam with coyote fur.

Trace the carcass

This response submitted by Ken Walker on 1/27/06 at 1:41 PM. ( () ) 161.184.197.101

Trace it onto a piece of clear poly with a permanent felt marker and when your manniken arrives reference it to the form and you should know within a minute what changes to make to the manniken.these tracings are much easier to store than carcasses.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu