New to taxidermy

Submitted by Colten on 1/30/06 at 9:42 PM. ( ktccc@conxxus.com ) 63.252.231.43

I am 12 years old and wanting to learn taxidermy. I would appreciate any advice on the best place to start learning. I am not sure what you need to do to tan the skin to be mounted. What would be the easiest animal to start out with? What clay and paste should I use? Thanks for any help I can get.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

best place to start

This response submitted by Mr.T on 1/30/06 at 10:36 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.208

You can learn allot by using the orange search button on the left here. A squirrel would be a good starter animal for you. You will need to find a supply catalog so you can fin all the recourses that are available to you. You should start with a taxidermy mammal book or video. People here can help you, but not teach you. Read all you can about taxidermy first so you know what to do from skinning to mounting.

archives and vidios

This response submitted by paul e on 1/31/06 at 7:57 AM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 68.222.59.234

hi Colten
id do what Mr.T said and search the archives
id also get some videos
i like sallie dahmes mounting videos from WASCO
also dennis behns ones from mckensies
after youve done some research and if you cannot find what you need
post a ? on here or shot me a email
id be glad to answer or give you my opinion on who to ask
good luck and God bless on your new adventure
paul e

Thanks

This response submitted by Colten on 1/31/06 at 8:02 AM. ( ) 63.252.231.43

Thanks for your help. When the first page came up on my computer it didn't have the search buttons. I should have looked harder before writing. My fault, I will search the archives. I got so excited I just wrote. Thanks.

local taxidermist

This response submitted by rx on 1/31/06 at 11:29 AM. ( ) 216.180.209.178

colten, you may also want to talk to a local taxidermist. maybe he or she will let you help out on a saturday or during the summer. thats how i got started.
good luck

Taxidermy

This response submitted by Ellie on 1/31/06 at 12:42 PM. ( ) 68.200.78.7

I emailed you a response.

Colton

This response submitted by Mr.T on 1/31/06 at 7:27 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.32

how did you know about paste and clay, and not know about the search button? And you're grammer is that of an adult and you're verbage used is of a quality higher than a twelve year old would use. You mus t be home schooled? And what video did you find to watch first?

Ellie

This response submitted by Colten on 1/31/06 at 10:59 PM. ( ) 63.252.231.54

I didn't receive your e-mail. Thanks Colten

I'll re-send it

This response submitted by Ellie on 2/1/06 at 9:02 AM. ( ) 68.200.78.7

I'll try and re-send it from another email address. If that doesn't work I'll try and post it here.

Sent

This response submitted by Ellie on 2/1/06 at 9:04 AM. ( ) 68.200.78.7

If you recieve an email from minertrixie@gmail.com, thats me. I hope you can get recieve, this time. Let me know if you don't.

-Ellie

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu