mink question

Submitted by bob on 1/31/06 at 12:39 PM. ( RNTAXIDERMY@AOL.COM ) 205.188.116.74

Just wondering, this morning on the way to work i seen a road kill mink that wasnt there last night. the temps have been around 35. unfortunatly the mink wasnt there at lunch time when i was going to pick it up. the question is 1) is it legal to pick it up for my own use and display? and 2) if so, should i take it right to the freezer then use something like stop rot when thawed? thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Re: Mink question

This response submitted by Herschel on 1/31/06 at 2:57 PM. ( ) 70.153.183.200

That is my situation with the mink I asked questions about. It won't spoil at 35 degrees. I don't see how it would be illegal to pick it up. But then again, you'd need to check with your fish and game.

Skinning mine out was sorta tough since it was stiff as a board and kind of miss shapen from the wheel that got it, but not a spot of damage on the pelt.

Herschel

check first

This response submitted by Danny on 1/31/06 at 5:44 PM. ( ) 68.191.233.70

I believe it is illegal to pick up road kill in some states. I was in KS several years back and seen literally dozens of bobcats but it was illegal to pick them up. Check with DNR first. I used to trap and can tell you that at 35 degrees it would have been A ok. Just skin it out or freeze it no rot stop needed.

RoadKill

This response submitted by Bill on 1/31/06 at 9:05 PM. ( trkybill@sbcglobal.net ) 67.126.206.38

In California it's illegal to pick up roadkill.

thanks

This response submitted by bob on 1/31/06 at 9:28 PM. ( RNTAXIDERMY@AOL.COM ) 152.163.100.133

thank you for your input. i will call the dnr in the morning and find out if it would have been legal or not. if it is legal, i will pick up the next one i see. but they are rare around me. thanks again
bbo

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu