bear rug question please

Submitted by kevin on 1/4/06 at 8:58 AM. ( ) 209.142.170.107

I have been doing taxidermy for only three years and have never attemted a bear rug. I currently have two to make. My plans were to send it off to have it tanned. I will then mount the head myself. The customers (which are my friends) kmnow that I have never done a rug. My main question is the best way to dye the skin. I do have a video on the way and also will it look bad without a backing, they said they really didnt want one. Thanks for any help

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Bear Rug

This response submitted by Wolfe on 1/4/06 at 5:16 PM. ( s.savannafiredept@mchsi.com ) 12.217.4.187

I did my first three bear mounts last year. One was a shoulder mount, 1 life-size and 1 rug.

Instead of dying the skin....I used upholstery paint (spray paint) that you can purchase at most automotive parts stores. I learned this technique from a Rinehart video and it works great.

The shoulder mount I did was VERY THIN in the throat but the upholstery paint covered it up great. The rug also had some thin areas and were covered with no problem.

Just comb the hair while you apply the paint. The paint will only stick to the hide.

As far as backing goes.....to each his own. I've seen both ways and both looked fine.

Good luck!

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu