Fumes from foam, health issues

Submitted by Steve on 8/2/06 at 2:47 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.74

Ive been doing taxidermy for a little over 20 years. Just recently Ive noticed a more distinct odor when rasping some forms, mostly when Im doing fox, bobcat etc. I dont really notice it on deer, but I get those mannikins from another supplier. The fumes seem to be giving me a headache, making my eyes burn (for a day or so afterwards) and making me really restless when I try to sleep at night. Has something changed in the foam that could be causing this? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for your help, Steve

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Steve

This response submitted by Jim B on 8/2/06 at 10:42 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.73

The foam hasn't changed in that regard but you can become sensitized to it.Different people react differently to it.But you have to know that the icocyanates in urethanes accumulate in the body and can result in permanent,chronic asthma.Mixing and pouring foam without a respirator and exhaust fan is a mistake.I once worked in a big shop that employed 6 taxidermists.Three of the 6 were highly sensitized to the urethane fumes and 2 of those people had developed the problem by their early to mid 20's.I'm talking about a serious asthma attack from breathing a small cup of foam.Everybody thinks it won't happen yo them as I did,but once it happens,it's forever.There's no dialing it back.It's important to read the MSDS safety sheets that come with these materials and take head.It wouldn't hurt to do a google search and learn about some of the stuff we are handling.

Jim b

This response submitted by Steve on 8/2/06 at 6:10 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.71

Thanks for your response.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu