Indian tanning

Submitted by RSJ on 8/3/06 at 4:20 PM. ( ) 69.19.14.43

Has anyone ever used the Indian ways of tanning?

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

yes

This response submitted by Mr.T on 8/3/06 at 5:12 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.169

The turn around time was way to long. Couldn't get my skins back on time, and when there was a problem, they wouldn't send a smoke signal back. They claimed the slow turn around was due to bad weather, or the fleshing women had bad teeth. The skins I did get back smelled of smoke, the only thing I could do with them was to make cloths and crafts, not good for taxidermy.

mr.t

This response submitted by red owl on 8/4/06 at 10:15 AM. ( ) 66.67.168.174

I guess you really have a problem with native american. I hope someday you will look at them as brothers.
On this web site many people write about this person selling something that they shouldn't, but I don't hear about what race they are, or about someone that didn't get there animals back.
Maybe you need to gear down alittle. Maybe the world would be better.
later

red owl

This response submitted by Mr.T on 8/4/06 at 11:18 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.190

I have no problems with Native Americans, seems one has a problem with sarcastic humor.
This is a modern taxidermy site promoting modern tanning and mounting techniques. The old Indian way of tanning will be found on another site under brain tanning, or in old world history somewhere.

Mr. T.

This response submitted by jrosbor on 8/5/06 at 4:54 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

You didn't read the question! He asked if "ANYONE" has ever used the Indian ways of tanning. You should have just said "YES"

The Indians did this method for all there tanning.

jeez red owl...

This response submitted by bd on 8/6/06 at 7:09 AM. ( ) 207.200.116.71

a little sensitive? put down the fire water and relax.

I have

This response submitted by Rita on 8/13/06 at 11:20 AM. ( ) 4.226.150.43

Brain tanned deer skins. Brain tanning takes time and alot of work. Smoking the hide changes the nature of the hide fibers, keeps bugs out and makes the hide washable. Fleshing is done with a knife not teeth!
The Native American way has been known to last 100's of years, just look at the Smithsonian Museum for examples.
This forum is for information, not attacking people!

This is a website for brain tanning

This response submitted by Rita on 8/13/06 at 11:25 AM. ( ) 4.226.150.43

http://www.braintan.com/

Bear Hide

This response submitted by Pocket Rocket on 8/20/06 at 2:01 PM. ( ) 68.17.37.90

I just found this whatever it is about bear hide tanning.I have a Black Bear hide.I would like to know if it would be possible to tan the hide myself or do I need to have someone do it for me?I don't have an e-mail address but can come back to this site. I don't want the hair removed.It does not have the head or paws just the hide.Can I sell it? If so what is it worth? I got it from someone who clearly has no compassion for anything. He took the bear legally had a stamp and all but made it clear all he wanted was the head.I asked for the hide just so it wouldn't be thrown away.But I don't have a clue what to do with it.Please,Please somebody help me out here!

Bear Hide

This response submitted by Pocket Rocket on 8/20/06 at 2:15 PM. ( ) 68.17.37.90

I just found this whatever it is about bear hide tanning.I have a Black Bear hide.I would like to know if it would be possible to tan the hide myself or do I need to have someone do it for me?I don't have an e-mail address but can come back to this site. I don't want the hair removed.It does not have the head or paws just the hide.Can I sell it? If so what is it worth? I got it from someone who clearly has no compassion for anything. He took the bear legally had a stamp and all but made it clear all he wanted was the head.I asked for the hide just so it wouldn't be thrown away.But I don't have a clue what to do with it.Please,Please somebody help me out here!

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu