Bear Rug Restoration

Submitted by Jack Green on 8/9/06 at 1:25 AM. ( jackgreen13@cox.net ) 68.96.129.120

I have a three generation old Bear Skin Rug that has great sentamental value but is beginning to show signs of it age. I really need to replace the felts, since their over sixty years old, and rejuvanate the hide if such a thing is possible. The hide is not deteriorating as much as it appears to be extremely dry and cracking in a few places. From time to time I've discovered fingernail pieces of hide with hair attached when I've moved the rug. Some taxidermist say there nothing I can do once the deteriorisation has begun and that it's because the hide was used as a rug. Some say that even the felt can't be replaced. Any suggestions?

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Contact Mary Kruger

This response submitted by Hugh on 8/9/06 at 8:59 AM. ( ) 24.213.59.179

Mary Kruger has a way to help you...in fact she'll see this thread soon and assist you. She does alot of restoration.

Thanks Hugh

This response submitted by Mary's Wholesale Rugmaking on 8/10/06 at 12:08 PM. ( halflingrugger@cox.net ) 68.2.170.130

Jack,
Give me a call or drop me an e-mail and I will gladly discuss rug restoration with you. I have been a professional rugmaker for the Industry for the past 18 years and have perfected a restoration technique that has proven results. I have restored rugs as old as 80 years with great results. The reason many turn down or approach restoration negatively is: they don't know how to do it! Rug restoration is a specialty field in the industry and there are only a handfull who do it well. Give me a call. 623-582-0237
Kindest regards,
Mary Hilliard-Krueger

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu