Red Nicitating membrane on Capoe Buffalo How to?

Submitted by The Taxidermist Ltd on 8/9/06 at 1:49 AM. ( tjacobs@clear.net.nz ) 218.101.92.85

Hi Guys here a tricky one, how do you recreate the red transparent Nicitating membrane on a Cape Buffallo. Any helpful hints would be great. Thanks

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Magic Sculpt

This response submitted by RJ Simington on 8/9/06 at 1:39 PM. ( animalartsnw@charter.net ) 66.190.240.176

Make your Nictictating membrain out of grey color magic scupt .
Start painting with light coat of Mars Red Hydromist then a light spray of brown over that to blend color.
Then Modge Podge to make soft & fleshy.

If you do it right you will see just a little of the grey color through the others.
You can also clear coat between paint coats to give depth.

You can get this color reference in one of the Breakthrough Magazine.
I think its the one with the African Lion on the cover.

Thanks will give it ago

This response submitted by The Taxidermist Ltd on 8/10/06 at 2:59 AM. ( ) 218.101.92.155

Yes I have that article and some great pics from Safari Mags.

or try this

This response submitted by travis on 8/10/06 at 7:39 PM. ( ) 130.76.96.17

Put 11 minute Epo-Grip in the freezer over night..it will actually turn it a white/membrane color onced mixed...put it on the eyes before you do the mounting...use a red permanent marker to get your color..blend the red with a q-tip and laquer thinner...it works like a charm--it look slike the real deal. I used it on my Bobcat mount 2 years ago for the Ks show..The judge was asking how I did it and he`s a cat man himself..it`ll keep that transparent look to the membrane where you can actually see the color of the eyeball underneith..

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu