how do I get the bone out?

Submitted by Billy on 8/9/06 at 8:48 AM. ( ) 65.96.78.115

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to get the bone out of a squirrel after it has been froze for a years and has dried up. Thank you

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Billy...

This response submitted by tomdes on 8/9/06 at 10:53 AM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 148.183.241.21

I'm not saying it's a total loss, but why bother with the aggravation when squirrel season probably opens up in Sept depending on where you live. Why don't you wait and get a fresh speciman. Working with a freeze-dried speciman can be very difficult.. Good luck..

Oops

This response submitted by Forrest Sue on 8/9/06 at 12:10 PM. ( ) 76.0.164.128

freezer BURN...freezer BURN freeze dried is done in such a machine.
Half the time I can't even remember the phrase "freeze-dried" even when I am talking about coffee!

get a new one

This response submitted by trappersteph on 8/9/06 at 3:50 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.67

Unless this is an albino or something, squirrels are a dime a dozen. Find a fresh roadkill with a full tail and take the tail to use to substitute for the one you have the freezer burn on. Or if taking roadkills is illegal where you are, just wait till season opens and get a fresh squirrel.

Billy

This response submitted by mrdux on 8/9/06 at 11:07 PM. ( ) 70.157.97.52

If you really want to use this squirrel, get a insulin sized hypodermic and syringe. Mix up some soapy water and inject it all over just under the skin. Pay close attention to the feet, tail and face.They will need it the most. It will soften up quickly. Don't bend the feet until you are sure they are rehydrated. Good Luck.

Billy

This response submitted by Rita on 8/10/06 at 11:11 AM. ( ) 4.225.168.82

Use Stop Rot, You can find information at www.whitetailsystems.com .
It's Better than anything I have tried.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu