Will kit fox form fit a grey fox?

Submitted by Amy Ritchie-Carter on 8/15/06 at 8:04 AM. ( Amy@Amystaxidermy.com ) 66.156.208.64

Hi guys, I've mounted a lot of foxes but never swapped out a different species' form, or done a kit fox.

Now I have a small grey fox - 2 x 10 x 20. Too large to fit McKenzie's "pup" form, but too small to fit any of the other large adult sizes.

There is a kit fox form that I really like, that is 2 x 10 x 18 3/4. So the measurements would fit.. How does the anatomy of a kit fox differ from a young grey fox?

I need to order this form soon so please let me know as soon as possible if anyone can answer this question.. THANKS!

Amy

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Amy

This response submitted by Becky P on 8/15/06 at 9:41 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.68

I mounted a grey fox on a kit fox form once. It turned out fine. It was in a lying down pose so that would possibly hide some anatomy differences. It was also a customer mount, don't think I would try it for competition unless you take all the carcass measurements and adjust the form as necessary. BP

Amy

This response submitted by Jim B on 8/15/06 at 11:09 AM. ( ) 64.12.117.9

I think that's a good choice.Kit and gray foxes are about as close a match as you'll find.Any differences are probably too slight to worry about.Use your skin to tell you if anything needs to be changed.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu