How long can a cougar get?

Submitted by Dr./Z on 8/16/06 at 1:04 AM. ( ) 70.98.89.172

I'm interested in nose to base of tail also nose to tip of tail and largest body circumfrece.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

This is not a trick question.

This response submitted by Dr.Z on 8/16/06 at 12:23 PM. ( ) 70.98.89.172

I want to know what your experience is.What you have seen or what you have heard.

Hey Z,

This response submitted by EJ on 8/16/06 at 4:26 PM. ( ) 12.33.96.190

Bigger than a bobcat, smaller than a lion. I have not a clue?

well

This response submitted by lee on 8/16/06 at 6:50 PM. ( ) 68.238.138.199

nose to base 60" is about as large as they get. 8 1/2 foot on the carcass is about the max. you always hear about a 9 or 10 foot cat, but i have killed many over the years and mounted many more and i have not seen a cat over 9' (im shure there are exceptions though, just rare)

60 inches

This response submitted by Dr.Z on 8/16/06 at 7:20 PM. ( ) 70.98.89.172

is the longest cat I have ever been able to verify.36 inches is the longest tail I have ever measured.I only come up with eight feet if you combine the two on the same cat, which is unlikely.I have however mounted a cat on a form that was 62"x45".Refer to the last Boone and Crockett awards book.

dr z

This response submitted by lee on 8/16/06 at 8:04 PM. ( ) 68.238.138.199

so if you already knew that why did you ask? b and c has nothing to do with length or weight only skull measurments.

I hear all kinds of stuff

This response submitted by Dr.Z on 8/16/06 at 10:26 PM. ( ) 70.98.89.172

I certainly don't know everything.I was refering to that book becuase of all the big cougars I have mounted this one was much larger than any other and there are a couple photos of the mount.which by the way is sporting an african lion jawset.

I have to agree and it WAS a good question

This response submitted by George on 8/17/06 at 7:40 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.14

The longest one I've seen was 60 inches and I THOUGHT that one at the NTA must have been 65 or 70, but I'm sure it was because the cat was such a BIG animal. How much did that dude weigh? 150+?

I see the same thing ALL THE TIME with bears. The customer will come in and swear to me that the bear weighed 250 pounds (his guide didn't have a scale but he told the hunter it weighed that much). I look at the hide and it's a 3 to 4 footer and I tell the guy there's just no way the bear is that big. It hurts their feelings, but I don't want them coming in AS THEY HAVE claiming their bear was bigger. A few years back a guy brings me a 75 pounder from Ontario. At the same time, I get a HUGE bear from Vancouver. They're both mounted in the shop and when the BooBoo killer shows up, he wants to claim Yogi. All I can do is laugh and I produce HIS picture with HIS bear and I tell him to stand beside HIS mounted bear. He wasn't happy when the truth hit him in the face.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu