Coyote form altering question.

Submitted by samantha on 8/16/06 at 11:53 PM. ( queenof250@msn.com ) 220.238.37.50

I am working on my first coyote and since we dont have them naturally here, I have been going along generally as I would treat a fox and checking refrence.

I was planning on mounting it on the defensive/aggressive form which I personally like and everything fits well ...except the rear end and tops of rear legs to the 'knee'.
Head, shoulders and front legs are spot on.
I have altered the size of the torso girth & pelvis area but still about 2" off meeting at the dorsal seam from the hip to the tail.
The 'thighs' are giving me a bit of grief.
I have done all relief cuts as needed and carved quite alot off the 'thighs' to the hock already.
What I would like to know is how much can 1 take off before things get ugly?
Looking at my refrence they have a nice firm muscle to the tops of the rear legs.
I have put the skin back in the freezer & I am just about ready to give in (after all this effort), and order a different form.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

you will...

This response submitted by terryr on 8/17/06 at 12:23 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

probably have to split the back 1/3 of form and pull out that 2" by taking some out of center- do it rough and then resculpt with bondo or 2 part foam - the hair on a coyote covers a myriad of faults so i wouldn't worry a lot - i bet it will look great

You can

This response submitted by Rita on 8/17/06 at 9:29 PM. ( ) 4.227.102.188

use a patch from a scrap pelt to fill in the gap, if you have one that matches. Sometimes you can find scrap pieces on e-bay.

rita's answer is crap

This response submitted by terryr on 8/17/06 at 11:29 PM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

lol

This response submitted by samantha on 8/18/06 at 4:29 AM. ( ) 203.208.88.170

Yes a bit hard to do too, esp when I dont have any running round here to get a spare from.
Thanks for 'your' advice Terry... keeps my hopes up. :-)

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu