Bear Hide Question

Submitted by - on 8/21/06 at 3:34 AM. ( ) 216.144.8.70

Was the bear properly fleshed if the flint dried leather is 1/4" thick at the head and shoulder area, and at the base of each leg?
The rest of the hide is a little thinner but only the thin-haired "pits" and "belly line" are easy to work with.
The leather itself is very oily and the fur is also very oily.
I ask because it is being sent out for commercial tanning and I'd like to know if I should expect the tannery to be happy with it as-is or if they will try to 'split' the thickness.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

-

This response submitted by Jim B on 8/21/06 at 9:02 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.73

If you are talking about asalted hide,everything is fine.Your job before the tannery,is to get all flesh and fat off the hide,not to thin it.The tannery will take care of that plus all the grease.Send it off.

Bear fleshing

This response submitted by Paul B on 8/21/06 at 3:32 PM. ( paulstax2000@yahoo.com ) 68.39.44.95

When fleshing a bear, all fat should come off. You will notice the dark skin color and hair roots starting to show when the fat is gone. A bear's skin is fairly thin, just a lot of fat between the hide and meat.

Thanks guys

This response submitted by - on 8/21/06 at 8:35 PM. ( ) 216.144.8.107

I was just wondering if all bears were that thick (it was actually 1/3", not 1/4" and it was a flint dried skin, no salt) and hard to work with.
Yes, it's going out to the tannery, I would never attempt something like that.
The other one I had was as thin as a coyote.
Bears sure are no walk in the park!
Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu