Tiger restoration

Submitted by Chris on 8/21/06 at 1:59 PM. ( chrisbigec@yahoo.com ) 63.65.68.246

I'm looking into updating this family heirloom for a friend. Thought I'd gather some ideas and input. This was killed in 1906 and reworked in the 70s.

Any thoughts on making the nose look nicer? Specifically the section between the nose and mouth which should be a vertical hair to hair seam.

thanks in advance, Chris

I'm looking into updating this family heirloom for a friend. Thought I'd gather some ideas and input. This was killed in 1906 and reworked in the 70s.

Any thoughts on making the nose look nicer? Specifically the section between the nose and mouth which should be a vertical hair to hair seam.

thanks in advance, Chris

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/ChrisBigec/Taxidermy/bear004.jpg

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Check This Out

This response submitted by Jeff on 8/22/06 at 9:40 AM. ( jeff@jeffstaxidermy.com ) 63.162.143.21

Chris,

Check out my Tiger restoration project on my web site jeffstaxidermy.com. Prior to starting I gathered as much reference as possible and began the labor intensive task. Email me and I'll try to give you some tips I learned during the project.

Regards
Jeff

teeth, nose

This response submitted by - on 8/25/06 at 10:55 PM. ( ) 216.144.8.77

Looks like a tough job. The tiger has fading and very old leather. It can be done though.

Is it an Indian tiger? Make sure to get the correct subspecies for reference. Tigers are as common in pictures as wolves and babies. LOL. It's easy to find.

You can't rehydrate the skin. It will fall apart. So, forget about putting in new eyes or fixing the one eyelid.

There is an extremely remote chance that you could somehow shatter the glass eyes out. and then use a drill to make new eye sockets, but how would you get the new glass eyes in?

You could repair the broken teeth, fix the gap between the upper incisors, and maybe add a realistic tongue to the jawset. Then paint the jawset, using reference. That would do a lot for the mount without touching the skin.

The nose, Apoxie-Sculpt over it to suit, using reference. Again do not get the skin wet.

If it is missing any claws, you can buy fake claws that look really good for about $5 each. Grind them to the size and length desired and sew them to the backing with their bases 'tucked in' to the paw spots - not sewn to the paws - the skin is too delicate.

D Rings on the rug to hang it on the wall would be another good item. If you are worried about flexing the skin too much, offer the customer a removeable wooden or lightweight fiberglass backboard to put on the backing, between backing and wall, to keep the skin from pulling or flexing.

Where's Mary the rugger? She'll have more good advice.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu