How many of you have done a "Chris Krueger" otter mount?

Submitted by Amy Ritchie-Carter on 8/22/06 at 10:00 AM. ( Amy@Amystaxidermy.com ) 66.21.149.69

If you were at the 2002 NTA show or subscribed to Breakthrough, then you've most likely seen Chris Krueger's amazing swimming otter mount. Research Mannikins is sellling the forms so you can mount a piece like it.

I had a customer request this type of mount. I was just wondering if any of ya'll had done one like it as well, just out of curiosity. It is harder than it looks! To suspend the otters securely a 3/8" threaded rod must be bent and run through both the otters. Easier said than done, trust me! But after all was said and done, I think it's a very impressive way to display two otters.

If you would like to take a look at my otter piece, copy and paste this URL:

http://www.AmysTaxidermy.com/otters1.jpg

Thanks!

-Amy

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Very Nice

This response submitted by Frank E Sekula on 8/22/06 at 10:38 AM. ( taxidermy223@yahoo.com ) 68.76.103.159

Amy the otter mount looks very nice. It will make a nice show piece for your new shop.

That IS one of my all time...

This response submitted by marty on 8/22/06 at 11:06 AM. ( ) 24.15.97.161

...favorite pieces Amy, very nice...

Amy...

This response submitted by Mary Hilliard-Krueger on 8/22/06 at 11:11 AM. ( halflingrugger@cox.net ) 68.2.170.130

... Actually the rod is not nearly as difficult as you have voiced it to be to put in the forms. You e-mailed Chris and he gave you step by step instructions. You were well informed that a bit of elbow grease was needed to get the rod bent. Maybe you should have had your husband help ,since you had so much trouble. I never feel uncomfortable asking Chris for help with something heavy or cumbersome in my shop.
Chris is flattered that you come to him for techniques to improve your small mammal work. He said if you can come up with a better way to stabalize the otter mounts ,let us all know.
Kindest regards,
Mary Hilliard-Krueger

Oooooh...

This response submitted by marty on 8/22/06 at 12:47 PM. ( ) 24.15.97.161

Amy, I'm not sure how you went about it but why not put it in a vice, hammer a bit, move it down in the vise, hammer some more until you have your bends? After all, it doesn't need to be a perfect arc if I'm not mistaken - it's going to be inside the mount eh?

Didn't mean to make it sound near impossible...

This response submitted by Amy Ritchie-Carter on 8/22/06 at 4:43 PM. ( Amy@amystaxidermy.com ) 66.21.149.69

Mary - I appreciated Chris' help very much - I wouldn't have known where to begin without his help! I didn't mean to make it sound like an impossible feat to accomplish. For most taxidermists with the proper equipment it would probably be very simple. But my lack of strength combined with the very small vice that I own was what made it difficult. But it was definately worth it!
The otters are extremely stable and I can't think of anything idea that would be better. The end result is definately worth the work.

Yeah, I've got a behemoth vice Amy!

This response submitted by marty on 8/22/06 at 4:48 PM. ( ) 24.15.97.161

I inherited mine from a friend from a machine shop. It's so heavy I don't even have it bolted down! An anvil would work too btw. Or the bumper of a '68 Buick 225!

Amy...

This response submitted by Mary on 8/22/06 at 6:21 PM. ( ) 68.2.170.130

.. no problem. Chris didn't want people to get the wrong idea that the forms are "difficult" to mount on. Any rod is tough to shape,I have watched Chris bend them and know I would have a difficult time doing the task. We gals can do alot, but when it comes to brut strength we need our husbands.(Congrats on your nuptuals!)
You know you can contact Chris anytime for quidance or assistance.
Take care,
Mary

Have you seen...

This response submitted by marty on 8/22/06 at 6:53 PM. ( ) 24.15.97.161

...my mother-in-law? LOL!

How come you don't answer your emails?

This response submitted by cd on 8/24/06 at 5:39 AM. ( ) 71.199.41.186

Huh?

otters

This response submitted by trappersteph on 8/24/06 at 9:49 PM. ( ) 205.188.117.7

I have a mostly white otter and I am going to mount it on the smaller of the forms, chasing a small fish.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu