Submitted by jimmy jett on 8/10/99. ( ) 152.163.205.88

I am just about to do my 2nd bear skin rug and have been thru the
tanning process and followed recommended procedures by another
local taxidermist but skin still feels greasy what can i do now
to further degreae this hide any and all input will be greatly
appreciated

Return to Category Menu

Yes - Degrease it!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 8/11/99. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.42.210

Jimmy - it sounds like you are feeling either the Tanning Oil used on it - or natural oils that usually reside in the fur. In either case, to degrease it, if you have a tumbling drum, throw it in, add some solvent like Odorless Mineral Spirits, and tumble it for 30-45 minutes, then blow it off and mount. If you dont have a drum, put it in a plastic garbage bag, add sawdust and some Odorless Mineral Spirits, and shake it around for 15-30 minutes, then blow it off, and mount. When you're done, you'll find the fur will be "puffier" and have good seperation. If the flesh side still feels greasy - then use a swab rag wetted with Laquer Thinner and wipe it down well. Try the sawdust method first.

thanks a lot Mr. Rittel

This response submitted by Jimmy Jett on 8/11/99. ( ) 152.163.189.1

Thanks very much for your quick response I do not as yet have a tumbler as I am just getting started on second career i have just recently purchased this computer and stumbled onto the taxidermy net and I think this forum is just great I know that all beginnerd must appreciate the help and experience guys like u bring to us.Again thanks a lot

Return to Category Menu