recreating jawsets to naturallife color

Submitted by Rob on 8/30/99. ( ) 161.184.25.232

does anybody know a color mixture to repaint a jawset back to naturallife.Any help would be appreciated.

Return to Category Menu

Rob...

This response submitted by Ken on 8/31/99. ( ken@taxidermy.net ) 209.86.73.75

No one is replying to your question because they cannot help you unless you provide more information. What animal species? What jawset brand? What paint brand? What do you mean repaint back to naturallife?

Jawset Color Restoration ...

This response submitted by John Bellucci on 9/1/99. ( ArtistExpr@aol.com ) 152.163.188.1

Wow, Rob, talk about vague!

Basically, you need to have a good "base" color to act as a "CANVAS" to apply the colors too. A nice flesh-tone that is not too orange, is a good choice for the base-color.

There is no real "formula" as such, as even within a certain species of mammal, you have variants that make each individual slightly different and unique from others.

In bears for example, the range is from a deep flesh -- almost a "hot-pink" but not quite -- with a VERY mild purple-ish tinge ... as in Mohr Flesh, for black bears; to a much heavier use of the Mohr Flesh as the basic color scheme for the larger Grizzlies and Kodiaks. Polar Bears are an almost Blue-ish-Black, with flesh undertones in their mouth.

As for big cats, start with a Tannish-Flesh base coat, and build on layers of Reddish-Browns -- LIGHTLY -- with darker shadings along the center of the roof of the mouth leading back to the throat.

Smaller mammals are various shades of flesh ... lighter or darker, "Orange-y" or not, depending on the particular species.

ALWAYS USE REFERENCES and DO NOT GUESS!

Better yet, if you're using Mohr Jawsets, and you should be, buy them pre-painted and save yourself the headache ... especially if you're not fully sure of yourself. You can also purchase the Mohr pre-painted jawsets and keep them around as a 3-Dimensional reference piece! There's a thought!

Hope this has shed some light on this issue for you. Much of the color restoration to jaws and fleshy areas has come about by trial and error. But the use of good, clear references will be your best assistance!

Good luck to you ... John B.

Thanx John

This response submitted by Rob on 9/3/99. ( ) 161.184.27.39

I should have been more informative in my first submission,but i was kind of in a hurry. What I was asking was a color or colors to create the natural stained teeth on a mohr blk bear jawset if you were not smart enough to purchase oe when you order something.Sorry for making you type so much stuff i wasn't looking for I will look forward to your input.Thanks

Tooth Stain ...

This response submitted by John Bellucci on 9/5/99. ( ArtistExpr!aol.com ) 152.163.188.161

Rob,/Believe it or not, and we all know how I hate to plug anything here (Ha,ha :), my book, the "Breakthrough - Art of the Big Cat - Manual" covers this very issue. The name of the book can be a little misleading, as there is a wealth of information applicable to many specimens and the problems that can arise. Okay for that.

Staining teeth is pretty easy really. You need a very thin wash of yellow ochre, applied at the base of the tooth where it meets the gums.

You can apply this color with a thin artist's brush - right out of the bottle - around this juncture, and then thin it and spread it about with lacquer thinner ... my choice. Or, you can build up layer after layer of thinned color. I've done that too, but prefer the first way.

Sometimes, depepnding upon the animals' age and such, a TOUCH of raw sienna can be used right at the tooth-gum juncture in the thinnest of lines ... darkening the yellow ochre somewhat.

In any case ... USE REFERENCES, ALWAYS!

Hope this answered the specifics. Best regards ... John B.

Return to Category Menu