"Liquid mannikin method"

Submitted by Toivo Ohlsson on 8/30/99. ( toivo.is@home.se ) 212.75.65.224

Does anybody know where I can find information about the "liquid
mannikin method" or "filling method" for mounting small mammals
and even birds? You innovative americans never cease to amaze me.
Is it just a "filling" of the skin with some sort of mache etc.
like you do fish? Sounds messy to me, but I am very open-minded.
´The method is mentioned in several catalogs but I would like to
know some more before I try it out myself.
Thanks/Toivo

Return to Category Menu

Never read or heard about a LIQUID MANNIKIN method?

This response submitted by John C on 8/31/99. ( ) 204.180.103.11

I think you are referring to LIQA_TAN for tanning furs and hides???
John C

Liquid Mannikin Method ... It Really Does Exist!

This response submitted by John Bellucci on 9/1/99. ( ArtistExpr@aol.com ) 152.163.188.35

Hey Guys,

Like Ripley would say ..."Believe-It-Or-Not" ... the liquid mannikin method really does exist!

It is something that Dave Brummel of AVES Studios developed ... well not really developed, but he loves to promote it. If I'm not mistaken, it involves filling the body skin of a squirrel-sized mammal, with a mixture of his Master Mache', mixed thin enough to squeeze through a cake-decorator bag, sewing it up as you go. I think the legs are wired and wrapped, and joined to a center wire running from a headform in the headskin.

Contact AVES and ask to speak with Dave on this process. He may even have some literature on the method, as it was an article in, I think, American Taxidermist Magazine once. I know he's demonstrated this in seminars over the years.

"Yes Virginia, there IS a Liquid-Mannikin method out there!" :) Enjoy!

Best to all ... John B.

Wow J.B.

This response submitted by John C on 9/2/99. ( ) 204.180.103.17

I can think of how easy it would be to do a road kill small mammal with this method. Or really how close you would have to watch it or you could over fill. I think Charlie Haynes first did this in about 1974 with a few students use his mache' it was great stuff, would kill ya with asbestos, but great stuff. I did not fully understand what was being ask. Hummmmm how about some foam?????? At lest it would be light weight.
John C

LOL

This response submitted by John Bellucci on 9/2/99. ( ) 205.188.208.72

I can only ... LOL, John! :)

Return to Category Menu