Squirrel tail removal

Submitted by Mike on 9/15/99. ( Rackhntr@aol.com ) 205.188.208.72

This is probably a no-brainer for you guys, but I'm having difficulty with removing the tail bone from squirrel tails. Any advice appreciated!

Return to Category Menu

IN THE HOLE

This response submitted by tONY FINAZZO on 9/15/99. ( FINAZDUCKS@AOL.COM ) 205.188.209.40

Try this. Drill a 1/4 inch hole in a piece of 3/4 inch pine.
The wood should by about 2" by 6" by 3/4" split the wood in two with a band saw make sure and cut the hole in half also. This will leave you two pieces of 1" by 1" by 6" with half a hole on each piece.
now skin the tail done about an inch of so enough to put the tail between the two pieces of wood and still grab it with a pliers. Gently pull the bone between the wood till it is compleatly out. Or you can buy a tail skinner from any supplier for about 5 bucks
Good Luck
Tony

Squirrel Tails

This response submitted by George Roof on 9/15/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.40

Mike,
I take a pair of 6" common pliers and hold the head of the pliers in my hand. I slip the base of the squirrel tail in between the pipe grip portion. The teeth insure that the hide doesn't grab and it slips the tail free in seconds.

Return to Category Menu