Vole/Shrew mount

Submitted by Brandon Barton on 10/24/99. ( bart4532@uidaho.edu ) 129.101.134.91

I am currently working with a grad student doing work with sub-lethal affects of predators on small mammals, mainly voles and shrews. Well, i mentioned i like to do taxidermy work, and guess who got volunteered to mount a vole and shrew? But, they are so tiny (shrews are the smallest mammal on earth), i'm not sure about how to go about it. Do i really need to worry about tanning the skin? And eyes, those things are tiny....where can i get some? Any help will be appreciated.

Return to Category Menu

Better You Than Me

This response submitted by George Roof on 10/25/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.101

Brandon,
I'm a believer that certain jobs in this business demand freeze-drying. I have big hands and old eyes with bifocals. When I get them back, I take insect pins and dip them in enamel model airplane paint. Once dry, I insert it into the eye socket. I've use this method on moles and voles. Hummingbirds fit into this same group.

mouse method

This response submitted by Drew on 12/23/99. ( scottstaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 206.27.13.69

you could use the mouse method from above. just dip the critters in plaster and let dry. after they rot out, inject some kind of filler(epoxy resin) into the critters and let dry. rub and break off the plaster.

Return to Category Menu