Squirrel

Submitted by Jason on 10/2/99. ( JSWLTHK@aol.com ) 205.188.208.72

Hello, I am a beggining taxidermist, and as of now I have only mounted birds. I am getting ready to try mounting my first squirrel. Could someone tell me what other materials I will need other that what is used to mount birds.
Thanks, Jason

Return to Category Menu

Depends

This response submitted by JimTucker on 10/2/99. ( bigjims@wilkshire.net ) 207.206.44.3

This is another topic that will get you a million responses. This is just my opinion but: I tan all of my small mammals, even squirrel. I use a Bascal S pickle then I Liqua-tan them. A bunch of guys are going to tell you to dry preserve them and it is a option on a small mammal like this. Although you could wrap a body I think it is far superior to use one of the many good squirrel forms on the market. They are inexpensive and will really help a beginner get the anatomy correct. Otherwise the supplies are about the same. If you haven't already done it it would be wise for you to invest in the Breakthrough Mammal Taxidermy Manual it contains all the info you need to mount a squirrel to lifesize big game. For under $30 it is a bargain that will be used over and over again. Good Luck.

Return to Category Menu