Dorsal and ventral incision on coyote ?

Submitted by Jim P. on 12/20/99. ( ) 136.141.2.13

I recently trapped a big prime coyote and didn't have time to skin right away so I gutted it and tossed it in the freezer figuring I'd ventrally incise later. I've had abdominal spoilage problems with foxes in the past and didn't want to take any chances. I may now want to use this as a compitition piece and I need some advice on further incisions. Would it be best to continue ventrally skinning or skin the animal dorsally and just sew up the belly? I like the ease of mounting a dorsally skinned animal and don't like sewing any more than I have to. See where I'm going with this fellas. Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!

Return to Category Menu

coyote help

This response submitted by Mark on 12/20/99. ( fishspec30@centurytel.net ) 207.230.196.78

I recently made the mistake of doing a dorsal cut on a javelina without noticing that it already had a cut made up the vent! I am really not looking forward to the extra work I made on this animal. My advice to you is to continue skinning this animal where you made the cut especially when you might want to use as a comp. piece. You don't want to give the judges any more to examine plus you have to sew twice! I prefer dorsal on a coyote but if you did cutting on his belly already stick to it. Plus coyotes are less likely to slip in the belly than a fox. Good luck,Mark

Good points made

This response submitted by Mick on 12/21/99. ( MicD63@aol.com ) 205.188.208.70

Mark made several good points, but I have to politly disagree. I find the dorsal skin much easier to work with in general, and feel the time saved compensates for the little bit of sewing required to close up the short belly incision. I recently prepared a lifesize piebald whitetail buck the same way. The customer had made a short field dressing incision, while the rest of the animal was skinned via dorsal incision, which I find easier to work with.

dorsal

This response submitted by deer woman on 12/22/99. ( ) 152.163.194.177

If you ventral cut for a competition piece, you have more sewing because of the area inside the legs, and judges tend to be biased towards incisions, no matter how well concealed- they feel for them. If i were you, I'd dorsal cut, then carefully sew up the gutting belly incision. By the way, i never lose belly fur on foxes, unless the animals lay around too long, such as roadkill or hunters/trappers who lay it in the back of the truck for 2 days. My biggest problem with red fox is the ears slipping.

Return to Category Menu