Canine mounting

Submitted by chris on 7/20/99. ( cshyne@msn.com )

Would I be the first person to want my dog ( a Llaso Apso) "stuffed" mounted upon her demise??? Is this a taboo subject? It seems like it would be paying greater homage to my dog to "immortalize" her by having her mounted than to just bury her and have her eaten by insects... Please advise and let me know if you know someone who provides this service.Thanks, Chris

Return to Category Menu

Pets

This response submitted by frank on 7/21/99. ( basswtrout@aol.com )

There are many of us who do pets. No you're not wrong for doing what you wanted. You love and care for the animal. But like I tell all my clients, the pet will never be life like ,it may look like your pet but will never do what it has done for you in the past.It will not have that soft touch it once had, etc.etc.etc. With all said and done I give them 2 options, freeze dried, or I make a cast of you pet and then mount it with a tanned skin. Then for the prices pets freeze dried starts at $500 and up, casting $1500 and up. Now it becomes there choice on what they want and can afford. Hope this helps you.

Pets

This response submitted by JL on 7/25/99. ( wmlures@xtdl.com )

Chris...a pet is sometimes more precious to the owner than close friends and we want to keep that feeling of companionship even after they pass away.These pets can be PRESERVED in the same manner as wildlife,however mannikins for wildlife are inexpensive and accurate, while pet minnikins are not available.Mounting pets require individual body casts, or freezedry services, both of which work well when done by an expert. However it is impossible to capture a memory and place it in a lifelike mount.In addition, this extra work is costly, not to mention the special case to protect the mount from dust and dirt.For small animals (five to seven pounds) you can expect to pay $1200.00 or more depending upon the quality of the case and other options the customer might want.In addition be prepared to pay the entire amount up front and be willing to accept the final rendering of the mount as-is. Choose the taxidermist with care..and good luck!

Return to Category Menu