bear

Submitted by ono on 7/10/99. ( TOno793612@aol.com )

ok heres a ? for you .i just got a call from some one that wants their bear tanned and possibly made into a rug ,my ? is about fleshing an skinning it , they salted it and rolled it up into a ball then froze it .when i get it is there anything that i can do bebore fleshing it ,like soaking it in anything ect. im not that fast at fleshing since i have had no formal training but i get the job done just a little slow . ive had a bear ear fall off before during the tanning process and want to avoid that in the future . to sum up my ? , what is best bet for treating the skin both prior to fleshing and after skinning. Thank you tyler

Return to Category Menu

bear

This response submitted by Frank on 7/10/99. ( Basswtrout@aol.com )

To sum it up the best is salt, prior and after. When I do bears or deer I salt for a day shake off and resalt. Then I flesh the hide resalt and dry prior to sending out to be tanned. You can soak it in alum and water with salt added to aid in fleshing or there are other products sold to aid in fleashing, your choice for that. I have no trouble as for fleshing bear, a good 10" curved blade works real good for taking of the fat and whatever meat is left on them.

Return to Category Menu